2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Catamarca Livin, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz Registered User

Tryamkin is coming back..its just a matter of when....." I wake up and watch the games, highlights. I’m still interested how the team plays. Would I like to come back? Why not!"
    I can say with certainty...that within 3 years from now that all five of those players Benning drafted in 2014 will have played at least 100 NHL games...

You have to go all the way back to the Canucks draft of 1981 to match that.

2. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    Meanwhile when you compare the Juolevi pick to those selected after him, and the Virtanen pick to those selected after him, it's clear those were two abysmal picks.

3. y2kcanucks

Management
    A lot of Sens fans were livid when they made that pick.

pomorick and timw33 like this.
  4. cookiefest

cookiefest nothing matters anyway.

This comment is Mike Gillis' fault.

5. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

How many of those years did we have 2 1st round picks, including one in the top 6?

Cause that probably matters.

pomorick, Canadian Club and geebaan like this.
  6. Jyrki21

Jyrki21 Todellakaan ole suomalaista Sponsor

Home Page:
    Does it? Look closer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aaaaaand now you know.

7. Pastor Of Muppetz

Nedved,Antoski
    Sedin,Sedin
    Horvat (9),Shinkaruk

Having first round picks have somewhat of an NHL career is fairly common...Whats more impressive though is the ability pull assets out of 2nd round onward.

8. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

So in other words not many (3). And all of those drafts provided better value to the franchise than we are likely to see out of the 2014 draft unless Demko goes on to become a top flight starting goalie.

Focusing on 5 players playing 100+ games is certainly *a standard* though not necessarily much of one. Playing 100 NHL games doesn’t even eliminate guys like Chaput or Megna so while it is interesting, it wouldn’t be as impressive as say 2004 which yielded Schneider (370+), Edler (758+), Brown (407), and Hansen (606+).

Obviously Virtanen (#6), McCann (#24), and even Demko (#36) being judged as successes for playing >100 games is a very poor standard to use. But a very interesting factoid at least.

Canadian Club and geebaan like this.
  9. Pastor Of Muppetz

I think its impressive..maybe thats just me..2004 beats 2014 it as of now...It depends on Demko and Tryamkin,I feel optimistic that both will be NHL regulars.

I'm not going to start nitpicking..After looking at both the 2007 and 2010 haul where we only had a player play one NHL game in the entirety of both drafts..Anythings a win for this organization.

10. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

I know Jimbo gets the back of the hand from many on these boards, but I'm looking at the situation in Ottawa with stupefying disbelief....GM Dorion now forced to trade Karlsson or Hoffman, or maybe even both. He's surrendered his first rounder next season for Matt Duchene and his assistant GM was just busted in Buffalo. Heck, he even got schooled by Benning in a trade (Dahlen for Burrows)....how can it get worse?

11. y2kcanucks

Management
    Cory Schneider has been a top 10 goalie in the NHL in his prime. Alex Edler has also been a top pairing defenseman, while Jannik Hansen has been an elite 3rd liner for most of his career.

Compare that to the Canucks 2014 draft where maybe Demko ends up being a number 1 goalie...maybe Tryamkin comes back and is a bottom pair defenseman. McCann has outplayed Virtanen who was an awful pick at 6. I'm not sure I would use the 2014 draft as some sort of example of Benning having a good draft.

Pavel96 and The Drop like this.
  12. Pastor Of Muppetz

Pretty sad that we have to reference a draft 14 years ago,to compare with Bennings first ever draft.

coldsteel79 likes this.
  13. Pastor Of Muppetz

Benning could school him again?....

14. y2kcanucks

Management
    I was just going off of the example in the quoted post.

15. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Be gentle

You know your trading record is sad when Burrows for a player who has so far played zero NHL games qualifies as your great trade when you "schooled" the other gm.

16. cookiefest

cookiefest nothing matters anyway.

And when trading an AHLer for a tweener is considered one of your biggest wins.

Canadian Club and The Drop like this.
  17. Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Registered User

The only credit Benning can ever take from any draft is the pick made at the top end of the first round. After that he is clueless as to the players on the board. He proved this the draft video the Canucks posted.

Benning can take credit for all the trades made, the UFA's signed and the waiver pick ups. All these transactions are on him.

18. Pavel96

Pavel96 Registered User

It's pretty sad when we are referencing the 2014 draft as a good one for the canucks?

Despite the possibility he maybe could be a third liner, Virtanen has been a huge disappointment considering who was taken after.

mcann was meh (better than virtanen) but to give up a second as well and then have to take on the useless Guddy and then have to resign him just makes it sour. Why even bring him up - just points to a massive fail.

Demko - great lets see what he does in the pros.

Tryamkin - was excited for the player and then he left. to say management didn't play a role in not preventing that..... well isn't that part of their job? Otherwise why pick the player int he first place?

Forsling - just an insult to even bring up considering what he did with him.

Pettit - who?

Stewart - one of the most made fun of 7th round selections I have ever witnessed.

So at this point maybe a russian player comes back, a possible #1 goalie, and a possible third liner. At this point isn't Boeser worth more than all three of them put together? If anything the draft was just a glorious showcase of what was to come in the future.

19. Pastor Of Muppetz

An extremely depressing view,I don't share it..but go ahead ..Virtanen a 4th liner?..Tryamkin is an NHL player..(If management had indeed chased him off,he wouldn't even entertain the idea of coming back to the Canucks..Yet here we are,..He's coming back)...He's not the first or the last player to bolt home to the KHL.

Demko is considered one of the best prospects not in the NHL,he was outstanding in Utica last season

You make the management here sound like King Jong-un.

FYI....The player taken after Jake Virtanen was Haydn Fluery by the Carolina Hurricanes..He was the player projected to go before Willie Nylander .(.Bob McK final draft rankings 2014 ).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    coldsteel79 likes this.
  20. BobbyJazzLegs

BobbyJazzLegs Sorry 4 Acting Werd

well Dahlen has been lauded by many and burrows is practically out of the league at this point, so...

21. Askel

Askel By the way Benning should be fired.

Chef
    No but your logic doesn't make sense. You say that Benning is not doing a classical re-build, but this team is the worst team in the NHL over last three years. And still this bad team don´t acquire extra picks and sign useless UFA:s who blocks our young players for ice time.

If Benning is not re-building why are the Canucks so bad? Might it be that he can't do his job?

22. Pastor Of Muppetz

Which young players got blocked by the useless UFA's..?
    No,they are not doing the complete fire sale for picks rebuild...but they are rebuilding....and rebuilding teams can generally be found at the bottom of the league for a time.
    Canucks have drafted well,and the prospect pool looks good..On the strength of that.. Benning got an extension.

23. Askel

Askel By the way Benning should be fired.

Chef
    Goldobin, Hutton got blocked by Gagner and Del Zotto. Both played like crap but were still given ice time through out the year.
    Acquiring Gudbranson when we had Tryamkin blocked him and made him want go home.

Also if Benning hadn't aquired crap and mediocre spalters like Dorsett, Pedan, Pouliot, Vey, Gudbransson, Etem, Clendennnig, Baertshi (who is ok) Sutter then the prospect pool would look really good, now we are still hoping that every draft picks turn out great (and they won't). Thats 3 2nd rounder, 3 3rd rounders, a 6th rounder, and prospects like McCann, Forsling.

Oh and by the way Gillis also got an extension and was fired not so long after that, the Benning extension means nothing. One more thing Aquillini made the right move in firing Gillis, it was the for him to go , he made the wrong moves after 2011, the problem is Benning has made it even worse.

24. Ronning On Empty

Ronning On Empty Formerly BleachClean

Hah, exactly. Loving the ad-hock approach to... whatever it is Benning thinks he’s doing. It’s clearly turned out well. He got an extension, and they have some prospects... just like Dorion. They both must be doing great. After all, good GMs get extended. Bad ones get fired. Right?

One tell tale sign to me about this retool fiasco is when Linden kept getting questioned about his refusal to use the term “rebuild”. And he was ducking it at every turn. Can anyone point out why that was? Could it be because fans were so unclear as to the franchise’s direction, they needed management to vocalize that direction point blank? That’s a rebuild, no doubt. One where 10+ year fans distrust your motives and can’t fathom your direction. Yup, sounds right.

If the criteria to a rebuild is that:

A) A team uses the standard allotment of picks and

B) Drafts at a mediocre to above average ability and

C) Is a team generally found at the bottom of the standings

Then there are a lot of rebuilding clubs. Rebuilding as a term has no meaning in this case. Playoff bound teams are doing this. Anything could pass for a rebuild with that loose rule set. It’s clearly incorrect, but do go on.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    I in the Eye likes this.
  25. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    Oh are we playing the 'give Benning 100% credit for single handedly turning us from one of the worst drafting teams in the NHL to possibly our best draft ever, even though he'd only been on the job 1 month, said himself that he didn't have much to do with that draft, hasn't come close to replicating the success rate since, and quickly pissed away the majority of assets acquired'?

Pavel96 likes this.