Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by HenriquesJawLine, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Devils Dominion

Devils Dominion Need a 1LD

No doubt he has talent but he's not played defense that long, at 17 is he the guy?

2. Cheddabombs

Cheddabombs Status Quo

It can be a positive and a negative. On the flip side he should, theoretically, have much more room to grow as he learns the nuances of the position.

devilsblood likes this.
  3. Devils Dominion

Whoever gets Denisenko is going to very happy in 2 to 3 years

Prob Kravstov too, he has a very high star potential along with a lot of risk

4. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

Probably not going to pertain to us, but Pierre Maguire was on Montreal radio yesterday and mentioned some draft tidbits. One interesting rumor he talked about was regarding an unheralded "northeast" US (?) based prospect who is ranked as a mid-round pick on most lists, but Pierre said he heard from a couple sources to not be surprised if he were to slip into the first.

Pierre declined to name the kid, but naturally also mentioned that his son had played against him growing up.

Haven't had a chance to go through the lists to narrow down who Pierre was referring to, but would be interesting to see if it comes to fruition.

StevenToddIves likes this.
  5. StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves Registered User

Sports journalist
    I would guess Jay O'Brien. The kid has great hands and a sick shot. I'm guessing he goes in the second round.

6. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

The way that Pierre told it, he made it seem like more of a guy you'd see in the 3rd+ round on lists. But I did listen to the interview late yesterday, so I might have inferred incorrectly. O'Brien fits the location (especially if Pierre's kid played in Connecticut), but he did end up #32 on Central's final ranking. Pierre did promise to elaborate after the draft.

StevenToddIves likes this.
  7. Devils Dominion

Thayer product Jay O'Brien possible first-rounder at 2018 NHL Draft

8. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

9. HenriquesJawLine

HenriquesJawLine Registered User

What was the knock on John Carlson that made him fall to the late 20's? Wilde seems like he has the some profile with some hockey IQ question marks

10. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

No particular knock from what I recall. Just a very stacked year for D. Bob McKenzie had him #22 on his poll leading up to the draft. Perhaps a decade ago, taking a guy out of the USHL was met with some scrutiny. Up to that point, I don't think Carlson had represented Team USA at any high profile tournaments.

Somewhat recently, Montreal's head scout Trevor Timmins kinda threw former GM Bob Gainey under the bus. Montreal was heading into its 100th season in 2008, so Gainey felt pressured to do something special. They ended up trading their first rounder (25th overall) for Alex Tanguay before the draft started. I think Timmins said Carlson was in their top 10. At any rate, Timmins said he was annoyed when Carlson was still available at #25.

Wilde's probably had a bit more spotlight being with the USNTDP the last two seasons, but I get the Carlson comparison. Some of the comments I've read remind me of Jacob Trouba coming out of the same program. Everybody liked the tools but didn't like some of his decision making. Wilde is going to Michigan like Trouba did as well.

HenriquesJawLine likes this.
  11. oxman44

oxman44 Registered User

I know the pipeline for defensmen is lacking, but the more Ive watched some of the forwards that may be available in our range, man, they may just be BPA. While Id be more than happy with Wilde or Miller (and they'd be my 2) A couple of these F's are really impressive. I dont have much whole game video to go on (1 U18 game), but right now my favorites are Kupari and Bokk. I need to see more on Bokk and his entire game but that kid has ridiculous, high end NHL level skill. But Kupari just blew me away. So much so, Im not sure he will even be there at 17. His skating is fantastic. Im no guru but maybe the second best skater in the class behind hughes? He kind of reminds me of Nico with his skating style, and might even be faster. Hes got great hands, great instincts and seemed like an above average , quick shot. He was tenacious and he just impacted the game on every shift. Its always a tough call, but if Kupari is there at 17 and it was my call, I'd probably take him.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  12. R8NJ

R8NJ 1-5-6-12

yeah i love the upside on kupari and bokk.

oxman44 and Devils Dominion like this.
  13. HenriquesJawLine

HenriquesJawLine Registered User

I agree and this is why the clamoring on twitter or wherever about going D no matter what because it's a need makes no sense. Wilde and Miller have big upside but they need more development time than a McAvoy. We could be talking 2-3 years in college for either of them. So you're drafting for need but still have to wait. If either are selected it's because the Devils love their upside, not because D is an organizational need. And tbh scoring wingers are a need in the system too, we need those guys so we don't have to pay MoJo or give Palmieri a bigger contract at 30

StevenToddIves and oxman44 like this.
  14. oxman44

oxman44 Registered User

A couple other things I like about Kupari, hes not small (over 6-1), hes a righty, and hes not russian :P

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  15. dk3790

dk3790 Registered User

I agree. While I don't necessarily think Wilde or Miller are bad prospects, I don't think they're miles above the forwards and I just feel iffy with defensive prospects. Also the forward prospects look super promising.

16. dk3790

dk3790 Registered User

The knock on Kupari was size, from what I saw....so when I saw he was 6'1" 180+ ib....i doubt he will fall to us.

17. Brooklyndevil

Brooklyndevil I live Hockey.

If the Devils drop I hope the grab Kaut. They say he’s probably a year away and just needs to add physicality to his game. Excellent two way player with great speed and good size.

HenriquesJawLine likes this.
  18. nugg

nugg Swamp Dragons!

Two of the likely draft possibilities for the Devils are Dmen with unique names, Bode Wilde and K'andre Miller, well there's an Olympic skiier named Bode Miller. Just thought it was interesting.

19. Jabs102501

Jabs102501 Registered User

I was interested in Kaut, until it was revealed that he had a heart condition.

20. devilsblood

devilsblood Registered User

Organizational need goes beyond what the Devils have in NJ. Not only do we lack a top end guy at the NHL level, but we have very little within the organization on the left side. Rykov was a guy but he was traded. After that we have a guy who finished the year in the ECHL and a bunch of 7th rounders. Granted I like Chainey, and Davies seems to be progressing nicely, but it's risky to say that is a position that we should feel comfortable with.

RW is a spot where NJ is lacking, but organizationally, there is Anderson, Studenic, maybe McLeod, maybe Zetterlund, Bratt did look good there though I think he may eventually go back to LW. Bastian even.

I just can't see taking a LW. I'm trading if the clear cut BPA is a LW.

Also consider that D, is more valued then wing.

21. My3Sons

My3Sons Registered User

You make a good point, but either way the player picked this season probably doesn't get on the radar screen for at least two years and who knows what the organizational needs will look like at that point. I could see NJ make a trade as their young forwards begin to filter up to the big club for a LD. I think the safe play is BPA. If NJ sees guys like Bokk and Kupari as equivalent to Wilde and Miller then sure, take the defender, but only if they project them similarly in terms of upside (top six line forward or top pair defender).

22. devilsblood

I see this argument a lot, but organizational needs just don't change. The moves a team makes dictates what a teams strengths and weaknesses are. We were looking very thin at fwd a couple years ago, but then we traded for Palms, traded for Hall, traded for Mojo, and drafted fwd's very heavily, especially early.

Granted we have made some moves to fortify the defense this past year in signing Butcher and trading for Vat's, but we have drafted very light on D, especially early where we have drafted no d-men, since Shero came aboard.

So how did we get to a spot where our organizational needs seemed to have switched from Fwd over to D? By the moves the team made. How do we fill the current need on left D? by making moves.

23. Jabs102501

Jabs102501 Registered User

Anyone else here high on McIsaac, Defenseman, good skater, well rounded defensive game, good shot. Don't see him mentioned too often here, is there anything that is concerning about him?

StevenToddIves and Brooklyndevil like this.
  24. devilsblood

Ty Smith shift by Shift. Granted one game, granted a much higher level of comp. But he just does not stand out. He actually let's a USA fwd get behind him on 3 different occasions for a one on one with the goalie. One time the fwd creates seperation via pure foot speed.

In general I thought he looked pretty sound, he does wear the C for team Canada, but from this game, I wonder about his top end.

Jabs102501 likes this.
  25. devilsblood

I thought the deal was good but not great skater, lacking in dynamics, solid player but not a high ceiling.

Devils 7th rounder from last year Chainey, seemed to perform at a pretty comparable level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.