Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by HenriquesJawLine, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. devilsblood

devilsblood Registered User

I'm seeing him score goals with fairly innocent looking wristers. Which could be weak goal tending, but I think it does say something about his wrist shot. Really haven't seen many clappers or one timers, but he also doesn't seem to get much pp time.

2. Devils Dominion

Devils Dominion Need a 1LD

A hard and accurate slapper from the point is what I'd expect from a high touted defenseman

3. StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves Registered User

Sports journalist
    Miller's shot I would rank as good, but not great. He is not in the elite class of shooting defensemen in this draft with names like Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard and Wilde. K'Andre has markedly improved the ability of his wrist shot finding seams through defense towards the net. When Miller scores, it is usually due to a well timed rush or pinch in from the point. But I don't expect him to blast slap shots past goaltenders from the blueline like PK Subban or Shea Weber, that's just not his strongest suit.

4. StevenToddIves

Sports journalist
    When you watch K'Andre in game films, one of his most impressive traits is his acuity in using his plus-plus tools of strength and speed to shut down offensive rushes. I've seen dozens of smaller forwards try to beat him outside, only to wind up crushed against the boards with the puck long gone and wondering how Miller closed the gap so fast. Miller knows how much stronger he is than the competition and uses it to his advantage. When he plays against men in the NCAA next season, it will be an interesting progression to watch.

As for the question about Miller's agility, it's a foolish criticism. I think whomever wrote that looked at his almost 6'5 size and never watched him play. This is from Ryan Wagman, a terrific scout over at McKeen's Hockey:

Miller possess both the speed and agility, edge-work and acceleration to pretty much handle anything a opponent may try to throw at him. This strength of his game manifests itself on both sides of the puck. When in the offensive end, he can do something like one sequence where, facing pressure from a winger when he held the puck on the blueline, he pulled off the spin-o-rama, and took off to the corner, completely changing the complexion of the shift. Away from the puck, he has great recovery speed, allowing him to catch up to a streaking opponent who forced a turnoer at the blueline, negating the play before it gets too dangerous. His speed also allows him to avoid taking too many penalties that defensemen often do through the clutch and grab that comes about after losing a footrace. An exceptional athlete, that rarely happens to Miller.

oxman44, nugg and My3Sons like this.
  5. StevenToddIves

Sports journalist
    There is a notable chance that Miller goes at 15 to Florida or 16 to Colorado. Or, of course, at 17 to the New Jersey Devils. I would wager a guess that the furthest he could possibly fall after an eye-opening combine is #20 to Los Angeles.

6. dk3790

dk3790 Registered User

Our "needs" switched from forward to defense because a couple of years ago we had 0 forward prospects, a bunch of aging players on the roster, and our d-prospects looked very promising. Couple years later, Shero revamps the forward prospect pool and roster and none of the d-prospects panned out (other than maybe severson).

7. devilsfan35

devilsfan35 Registered User

I was looking at the most recent 17th overall picks. I’m really hoping we could hit the jackpot like the jets in 2015 when they got Connor at 17

StevenToddIves likes this.
  8. Goptor

Goptor Registered User

2015 isn't really a fair draft to compare with. Boston took 3 reaches in the teens which caused Connor and Barzal to drop. They both were expected to go in the early teens.

We're going to need Dallas, Philly, Florida, and Colorado to pass on a good prospect when in 2015 Winnipeg only needed Boston (and Islanders picking a better player in Barzal) to not like Connor.

9. Thunderfest

Thunderfest The Wumpus

Is the draft entirely on NBCSN, or is some of it on NHL Network?

10. Darkauron

Darkauron Registered User

1st day is probably on NBCSN and then 2nd day is on NHL network

11. Thunderfest

Thunderfest The Wumpus

Ugh, for some reason Optimum puts NHLN in the absolute highest-tier 1000-channel cable package.

12. Prezidentas Zubrus

Prezidentas Zubrus Palm Trees/MadDog172430

When I first got optimum at my apartment complex, I had to add an extra 8 dollars for a sports package to get NHL Network. Not sure if that’s still an option since it was 5 years ago but I’d definitely look into that.

13. sammystl5

sammystl5 Registered User

I shared this on the prospects page and wanted to toss it in here too. Just in case anyone wanted to learn more about Ryan Merkley here is my article about him and all his character issues. Ryan Merkley: The Enigma - The SB5

14. glenwo2

glenwo2 BRATT IS BETTER THAN STAFFORD!!!

Staying alive. ;)
    Anyone know if Denisenko falls to #17?

Ty Smith, from what I saw, doesn't seem to impress much(although it's only a one-game sample).

15. devilsblood

devilsblood Registered User

We did trade Larsson and we still have Santini.

But I agree Shero has revamped the fwd prospect pool. Look at his picks, he has put much more weight on drafting fwds.

And yeah players not panning out like Merrill or Gelinas is part of the deal. As is guys making good like Wood or Bratt. But if we continue to wait till the 7th rnd to draft d-men, the prospect pool is probably going to remain pretty shallow.

16. StevenToddIves

Sports journalist
    I think Denisenko falls past #17.

17. glenwo2

glenwo2 BRATT IS BETTER THAN STAFFORD!!!

Staying alive. ;)
    You think perhaps Shero goes with him?

18. dk3790

dk3790 Registered User

Honestly, I don't think so. Imo it comes down to wilde, miller, kravtsov, kupari. Assuming they don't trade down that is.

19. Devils Dominion

We would be getting a player that most likely would drive play and control the puck on a nightly basis in a few years.
    Denisenko

20. New Jersey Devils

New Jersey Devils Doc & Chico Forever

I still cannot believe Boston had the chance to get Barzal AND Connor. I was so sure they were going to take one of them with their 3 consecutive picks.

21. My3Sons

My3Sons Registered User

NJ has Butcher. Miller would not have to play PP1. It would be interesting to see if that sort of analysis was part of the process.

StevenToddIves likes this.
  22. My3Sons

My3Sons Registered User

Do you prefer him over Kravtsov? At least this year is a good year to have a pick in the teens since there are a number of good options.

23. Devils Dominion

I like both but I'd take Denisenko

Kravtsov seems like most of his offense will be generated on the rush while Denisenko will be a play driver like a Panerin or Barzal

My3Sons and Taylor Hall like this.
  24. StevenToddIves

Sports journalist
    Perhaps, but it would be as the second line LW behind Hall. Which is if he turns out better to a similar player in Jesper Boqvist, who also projects to a second line LW. And that's if they both turn out better than a similar player in Jesper Bratt, who projects to a second line LW. And that's if they no longer have a similar player in MoJo, who is currently a second line LW.

The only way the Devils should consider picking a LW at 17 is in the unlikely event that a more talented player like Farabee falls to that spot. Although, as with any two prospects, one can argue that Denisenko is a slightly better prospect than ultra-high-upside Fs Kravtsov or Kupari -- it is impossible to argue that he is significantly better. In fact, were I rating the three players, I would rank him third of those three. Though Denisenko has the best hands of the three, Kupari is the best skater and athlete, Kravtsov is the best goal-scorer and offers the best size. It must also be factored in that, although all three offer elite skating/puck-skills/offensive upside, Kravtsov plays RW and Kupari plays C or RW, much more necessary positions in the organization. Finally, I would say that Denisenko has the most risk of the three prospects -- his defensive play borders on disinterested, his compete level is the most inconsistent, and he avoids physicality with the greatest fervor.

I respect the opinion that Denisenko will be a great NHL-er -- his upside is indeed sky-high. But he plays a style and position which the Devils are already strong in, and he comes with several red flags. Were he a significant upgrade in talent on any forward available at #17, I would say these risks are worth it -- but he is most certainly not a significant talent upgrade over Kravtsov (fairly likely to be available at 17) and Kupari (very likely to e available at 17). And all of this is not even taking into account the possibility that there will be defensemen available at 17 with comparably huge upside to the forwards I have mentioned (see: Smith, Miller, Wilde).

HITMAN88 and My3Sons like this.
  25. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

Listening to Bob McKenzie's draft-centric podcast: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-20-1.1112948

I'm about 40 minutes in. Main takeaway so far is the grouping after Dahlin-Svechnikov is more muddled now. Zadina/Tkachuk still likely top 5 picks, but more names showing up in the top 5. Bob polled 10 scouts and 12 prospects in total ended up being listed in at least one of those top 5s. Most surprising one maybe being Kravtsov.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.