Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev reportedly heading back to Russia

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by jumptheshark, May 5, 2015.

View Users: View Users
  1. jumptheshark

jumptheshark Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity

and that is why they are holding a spot open for him.

Flame away--but the last thing I was told was that if he is not traded by the draft he will bolt to Europe and if he goes he wont be back(chime in with don't let the door hit on the way out) but why is he wants to wait to see what happens is that family moved to NA with him and he wants to explore all options before heading back

2. CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep Registered User

I could see a team taking a flyer on him for future considerations

3. Wewillrise

Wewillrise Registered User

Wonder if Dallas and Edm could swap him and Nichuskin for a change of scenery.

4. belair

belair Registered User

Nichushkin did have a change of scenery. He went back home for two years. Dallas is bringing him back next season and probably using him as leverage to sign Kovalchuk.

5. McFlyingV

McFlyingV #Free :]

What leverage would he bring that Radulov wouldn't already?

6. Debonair

Debonair PS4

So I'm wondering if that was all BS about him going back to Russia - didn't that report also have Rinat Valiev going back as well? He just re-signed in Montreal.

7. Aceboogie

Aceboogie Registered User

Can't say I blame him. Hes being turned in to a dime a dozen depth player. Whether that is what is actual skill level is, or whether its the coaching staff limiting him and turning him into that is another question. But irregardless, he doesnt think its a good fit here. I also cant blame him for wanting to head back to Russia (aka where hes from) and play a prominent role on one of the best teams and make more $ doing so. I think NA people just assume its hockey players only wish to lay in the NHL, even if its as a 4th liner.

On another note, I think Edmonton might be the most prominent team for players to leave here and have such a bad taste in their mouth (not saying this is Slepyshev, although it might be). Ive rarely heard of a former player leave and want to return, or say positive things about the team. Most times they just leave and never look back or think about the team again, but occasionally, retired ex Oilers will just rip the team relentlessly. Ive only seen Ryan Smyth really want to return.

Aerrol likes this.
  8. 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg Registered User Sponsor

None
    A lot of the ex Oilers who rip on the team played here in the DoD when playing for the Oilers was a career killer. I don’t think that’s the way it is now.

Slepyshev IMO hasn’t done anything to warrant more usage and he should be traded to recoup something from the asset. If no teams want him that’s pretty telling.

9. Aerrol

Aerrol ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Agreed, the organization clearly fails to impress departing players most of the time. The only one I can think of recently who spoke really well of the organization was Maroon, and he still might not come back. Meanwhile, we have players including: Souray, Smid, Schultz, Yakupov, Belov, Slepyshev, Whitney, Hemsky (I think) who have openly spoken about how poorly the organization rates compared to other orgs. I was looking up quotes from Souray about the Oilers forcing him to play hurt for a thread on the mainboards, and Souray pointedly said how much worse it was than New Jersey and Montreal (I wonder if that's true today, lol).

TBH though organizational professional is one area I do think Chiarelli has really improved. Since he's come in there seems to be a lot less griping about ridiculous management/lack of support for players. Though maybe that's partially the McDavid effect too.

10. Aceboogie

Id agree here. I think 2008-2014ish was the worst organizational professionalism exhibited by a pro sports team in a while. Just hearing stories from POS or Whitney is eye opening how bad it was. And those are only 2 outspoken players, I wonder how many other players have horror stories. I think this was a way bigger reason we could get FAs than just being a bad team on the ice

I do hope that with Avitu/Slepyshev leaving the team that its not a sign of more of the same. Its just two meh depth players I get, but thats sometimes the sign of worse things to come

Aerrol likes this.
  11. Aceboogie

I dont think Slepyshev played well enough to force himself into the top 6 on a regular team. But he did show glimpses of top 6 ability in short sample sizes a couple of times. And he should have absolutely gotten an extended look over Lucic this year. Lucic should have been put in the bottom 6 just due to his own poor play. The logical winger to replace him would have been Slepyshev. Its not a guarantee he would have worked out, but it would have been a great test. If he failed, I would say adios (on good terms) as we would know hes only a pure depth player. If he leaves now, there will still be that lingering question of whether there is asmall chance he becomes a top 6 player.

Hes got the shot, skill, skating and size. His limitation is that he has horse blinders on when hes on the ice. Thats a tough one to learn

Cypress, Night Witch and Aerrol like this.
  12. joestevens29

joestevens29 Registered User

Then why hasn't any other NHL team approached him? A guy with all those skills should be a shoe in on another team.

Especially when you see one team in the cup finals full of outcasts, and another that uses all sorts of depth players at time with their skilled players.

13. Aceboogie

How do you know they havent? Hes under contract right now and a RFA July 1st, so how do you know a team hasnt approached the Oilers about trading for him? I dont know whether they have or havent

Although, if I was another team right now, I wouldnt be as eager to trade for him as I know that if he does only turn out to be a depth player, hell go to the KHL. So the better option might be to devleop your own depth player in your system right now and give them the minutes because youll know atleast they will stick with the team for the forseeable future in the depth role. Thats the opportunity cost of giving someone like Slepyshev those minutes next year

For the Oiler last year, we had no better options on the wing and were out of the playoffs realistically by January. So we should have atleast gave him a tryout in the top 6 to see what we had. Wouldnt have hurt the team as Lucic wasnt any better. Given what Slepyshev showed in the past and his limitations vision wise, likely a slim chance hes a top 6 player, but better to do that than not.

One example Id use is Osterle. He showed well in a short 17 game sample size. We didnt give him much of a larger audition (couldnt though given the players ahead of him). But that led us to let him go, and now hes having relative success in Chicago. If we had the luxury of giving him a large audition, we likely would have kept him. With Slepyshev, we did have the chance, just didnt use it

14. McShogun99

McShogun99 Registered User

The players probably love Chia seeing how he gives out NMC’s like candy and inflates contracts.

15. joestevens29

joestevens29 Registered User

He's been on the trade block all year. I suspect if teams wanted him he'd be gone.

16. Aerrol

Aerrol ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I'm sure Hall and Ebs have some stories too, they're just too professional to say anything about it/probably didn't get treated as badly as the lesser players on the team. Eberle did throw that dig at Eakins after he was fired about it being nice to actually pick his shots, haha.

17. 5 Mins 4 Ftg

None
    Yeah I don’t totally disagree with this but at some point a player has to show he has the chops even on lines 3 and 4. If you need other players to carry you your not a 1/2 line player, it’s that simple.

As you say he has the horse blinders on and a lack of consistency that keeps him relegated to bottom line/13th F usage.

He will move on and become an afterthought 5 years from now, at least that’s my take on him.

18. 5 Mins 4 Ftg

None
    Eakins was a nuclear disaster to every player on this team. His way was an arrogant know it all approach to a reinvented game within his own mindset. He damaged every player in this organization and his hire should have demolished MacTavish and Lowe’s careers as well. They signed him up. They both should be in some Siberian ****hole trying to make a tier 3 Russian team better, not with the Oilers. Such is Katz....

Aerrol and guymez like this.
  19. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher Boys are back in town

Looks like he was progressing well over the years then took a step back last year. As with many others on the team. Shouldn't have given up on him yet.

Aerrol likes this.
  20. rboomercat90

rboomercat90 Registered User

Why would Hall and Eberle have issues with how management treated them? Those two were coddled from the minute they got to Edmonton along with a couple others. I’d go as far to say that was a big part of the problem here for a while.

21. harpoon

harpoon inching up the mountain ... lmfao

I guess by 'coddled' you meant 'carried the entire ****ing team on their backs'.
    At least that's how I read it.

Aerrol likes this.
  22. Aceboogie

I would have major issues if I was tossing up elite seasons (or really good seasons) with little to no support and taking the blame for losing the games. I mean if my number 1 and 2 D were Correy Potter and Justin Schultz, my depth support was Ben Eager and my starting goalie was Ben Scrivens, id be pretty annoyed to if someone had the audacity to say "Look I know you just scored 27 goals and brought any resemblance of respect to this club, but these losses are on you buddy"

Aerrol likes this.
  23. Aceboogie

I think hes shown to be a pretty good bottom 6 player. I would love Slepyshev in his current form to be a 3rd or 4th liner. His horseblinders may limit him in the top 6, but right now hes a solid bottom 6er. The issue is, a former high profile Russian can make more money and be a star in the KHL, vs playing bottom 6 in the NHL. I completely understand if he does want to go back

24. Aerrol

Aerrol ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I agree, Slep is currently a 3rd/4th line tweener with flashes of being more than that in my eyes. The apparently lack of interest, IMO, comes from teams expecting he'll go back to the KHL instead of staying in the NHL to be a grinder.

25. CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep Registered User

I think he falls into that Yakupov feel. Only really fits in the top 6 but doesn't bring it often enough to work. And his style of game really doesn't work in a bottom 6 role. So the KHL is usually the best option