Rumor: Bob McKenzie on Canucks interest in Ryan O'Reilly.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by F A N, Jun 6, 2018.

1. F A N

F A N Registered User

Thought I make a thread to discuss this.

Anyone surprised the Canucks may be interested? Of course not. Heck, John Weisbrod was part of the management group that tried to acquire him in Calgary.

Ryan O'Reilly is 27 years old. He has 5 years left at $7.5M AAV. No NTC or NMC but buyout proof.

To me, there's no question that he is a very good player. He's basically the less offensively productive version of the C we all hope Horvat will become. I have some concerns about the comments he made recently. On the one hand, I like a player who wants to win, on the other hand, I'm not sure I like a player who can lose his love for the game when things get tough. The Canucks have not had the losing mindset over the past few years despite all the losing, but then again, the Sedins were here. The Sedins will not be here next year and there may not be someone to pick up the slack.

Is he worth $7.5M AAV? It's not a great deal, but it's actually not a bad deal for a 20+ goal 60+ point C who can win faceoffs and play as well defensively as he has. Of course, his past history of playing 70+ games is almost a meaningless predictor of how many games he would average as a Canuck.

What about fit? The plan seems to be to start Pettersson on the wing, so there's no immediate issue and to me, I think having too many top 6 C is a good problem and not a bad one. O'Reilly has also played left wing in the past and doesn't seem to mind it.

To me, it comes down to the acquisition cost. Like Hanifin, I don't see the Canucks having the assets that we want the Canucks to get a deal done. But unlike Hanifin, there's no conceivable way the 7th overall pick should be involved. Tanev's name has been thrown out there. O'Reilly and a 2nd for Tanev I would do the deal. One for one? It's tough even with salary retained. But I can't say it's not a fair deal.

What about Sutter +? I would make the deal if it's Sutter + 2nd or Gadjovich level prospect, although the Canucks wouldn't have a right handed C to take those defensive draws alongside Horvat. Why would Buffalo make this deal? They get rid of O'Reilly's contract and they have Mittelstadt who can fill in as 2nd line C. And their GM was there when the Penguins traded for and traded away Sutter.

Anyways, the Canucks probably end up doing nothing at the draft other than selecting a good player at #7.

2. infinitemile

infinitemile Registered User

I can't see Buffalo making this deal for Tanev, they'd basically be plugging one hole by making another. Tanev also doesn't have that kinda value. I'd trade Sutter but again the value just isn't there, Sutter is a 4C at best. And we can't continue trying to shortcut development by trading picks and prospects, come on now folks.

O'Reilly is also not so bad that Buffalo should be looking to move it for the sake of making money especially since they have a ton of cap space. They likely aren't for that reason.

3. PG Canuck

PG Canuck Moderator

I don't see the point.

4. travis scott

travis scott Registered User

I’d offer Sutter+Baertschi+2nd

5. Hodgy

Hodgy Registered User

The Canucks shouldn’t be giving up any futures for O’Reilly.

BrockH likes this.
  6. F A N

F A N Registered User

I disagree. Tanev does have that kind of value. You're talking about trading a first pairing Dman for an elite level 2C. That's a fair trade.

Buffalo finished in last place this season. They don't have a patient owner. They have been rebuilding for years and had a new GM and coach last season. O'Reilly also made some controversial comments about the team.

They have C depth. Eichel is their #1 C. If they don't think Mittelstadt is ready to assume the #2 role now, they probably think he is their #2 C in the future. They also (still) have Sam Reinhart who more likely will be a winger for them.

They are going to draft Dahlin. They have Ristolainen on the right side and who? They need someone to pair with Dahlin and mentor him. A Dman like Tanev makes sense.

Canadian Canuck and coldsteel79 like this.
  7. infinitemile

infinitemile Registered User

Okay there are reasons to trade O'Reilly for Buffalo but what's the reason for Vancouver to trade for him? He's 27 already, exiting his prime, we won't be good until he's 30+ years old. They'd likely want Tanev + a future something because he's injured a lot. O'Reilly's just not what we need and especially not for Tanev.

8. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    I’d easily make that trade but I don’t think Buffalo would accept that.

9. Askel

Askel By the way Benning should be fired.

Chef
    No they wouldn´t and its not even close. Buffalo is going to want Horvat, Boeser or Pettersson. Canucks can't give any of those guys up. I don't see a trade being possible.

Hindustan Smyl likes this.
  10. JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson Registered User

If the Canucks think Horvat/O'Reilly is their one two punch, I'm down with it.

Cost might be reasonable. O'Reilly made some comments. Sabres might be high on Mittelstadt?

Canucks might have hidden assets. Sutter or Edler would be useful to Buffalo. Waiving is not unknown. Nilsson or Markstrom would not sound crazy to Buffalo. They might even want Gagne or Del Zotto? Canucks could easily absorb Moulson.

Canucks should not trade picks or young assets. Other than that...go crazy!

11. Ghost of David Bruce

Ghost of David Bruce Grave Doubt Codfish

Yep, if we can do it by moving some vets, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I have no interest in the Canucks doing anything other than keeping and acquiring draft picks.

Bitz and Bites likes this.
  12. coldsteel79

coldsteel79 Registered User

Moving vets and taking on salary or retaining salary

13. Catbug

Catbug Registered User

Sutter + ?

If someone suggested that to me and I was the GM, I would lose ur number.

14. Alan Jackson

Alan Jackson Registered User

O'Reilly is on a $7.5 million cap hit until 22/23. That's a big ticket for a 2nd line centre.

It might make some sense if Sutter and/or Gudbranson went the other way, but I don't think this is a player you move any significant future assets for.

He's a good player, and a 1-2 punch of Horvat and O'Reilly down the middle would seem promising, but I'm not sure there's a good fit there.

15. Catbug

Catbug Registered User

A pile of hot garbage.

Can people stop making proprosals of all the crap you won’t miss.

Would you trade Horvat for Rodrigues, a 2nd, and Pominville ?

16. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    Pretty much this. If we're talking Sutter/Gudbranson/Eriksson/Granlund/Gagner/Nilsson going to Buffalo for ROR then sure, have at it. But if we're moving any kind of futures for him then absolutely not. He's 27. This team should be stockpiling futures, not trading them away.

17. voicing my opinion

voicing my opinion within HFBoards rules

I do think that Buffalo and Vancouver are much better trading partners than Carolina and Vancouver.

Realistically, O'Reilly to Vancouver isn't happening without Tanev going the other way. With Benning on the phone, the Canucks will need to add something else too. Maybe Baertschi. Maybe add a pick, and possibly get a defender in McCabe back. Don't see Jimbo moving both Tanev and Hutton.

O'Reilly and McCabe for Tanev, Baertschi and 2nd rounder. That would be a good move by Jimbo standards, although it would probably make the Canucks a worse team (that blueline is just atrocious).

18. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    Why would that be a good move? This team should be stockpiling futures, not trading them away. That 2nd rounder and the futures you should be able to get for Tanev at the deadline (assuming he stays healthy) are worth a lot more to a team like the Canucks than O'Reilly and McCabe. At least they should be. The Benning factor notwithstanding.

Pavel96 likes this.
  19. cookiefest

cookiefest nothing matters anyway.

O’Reilly is a very good player but we should only be trading for him if it involves an exchange of roster players, if you have to sell the farm of futures it’s an obvious non-starter.

20. Peen

Peen Dim Jim

I'm a really big fan of O'Reilly. I don't think his contract is an issue at all.

His cap is only an issue because we've got other stupid contracts. If we can get him while moving out one of Sutter, Eriksson, Gudbranson and not sacrifice any core pieces, I'd be okay with it. If you think you can build a playoff team by the 2019 2020 season, and be competitive for a chip for his final three years after that.. I really don't think he's a bad option.

The question is, why would Buffalo trade a first line center for our scraps? They wouldn't, so this is moot. And if Benning trades our core long term pieces, he is incredibly stupid.

21. polarbearcub

polarbearcub Registered User

The more I think about it the more a deal centring around tanev for oreily makes a lot of sense . We would get younger too. Oreily is only 27 and a centre core of oreily horvat , petterson and gaudette ( dump sutter ) would be really solid

22. Just A Bit Outside

Just A Bit Outside Playoffs??!

If the Nucks really are looking at O'Really, then they must think Pettersson is a winger (atleast to start).

Any deal would have to involve Sutter (or ship him in a seperate deal).

Maybe use Baertschi as Buffalo seems to be lacking LWs?

23. krutovsdonut

krutovsdonut holy makarov!

maybe we should trade ror for hanafin once we get him.

24. tantalum

tantalum Registered User

Chemist
    O'reilly is a good player. Not so sure I'm that excited about it at that contract though. To make it worthwhile the canucks need to be sending substantial salary the other way which pretty much means Sutter or Eriksson.

25. Melvin

Melvin is on a pasta-free diet. Sponsor

Data Nerd
    Am I missing something here?

He "wouldnt be surprised if the canucks were interested?"

What kind of weasel wording is that? What's up with esteemed national journalists actively trolling the canucks fanbase?

Ghost of David Bruce likes this.