Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by Emperoreddy, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setec Astronomy

Setec Astronomy Registered User

The rumors I'm referring to are that he can barely shoot anymore because of hand injuries. Not merely that he's injured them.

2. Zajacs Bowl Cut

Zajacs Bowl Cut Nova Nation

I admit when I am wrong plenty on here.

Off the top of my head:
    I was very wrong about Sykora in 2012. Wanted no part of him.
    I was wrong about Butcher this year. Didn't really think he had any shot of making the team and even thought he would benefit from AHL time
    I was wrong about Miles Wood. Didn't think he'd ever be anything more than a 4th liner. He is already much more than that, at 22 years old.

I am not sure how I was "definitely wrong" about Shattenkirk? The dude did have 23 points in 46 games while playing with a significant injury on a bad team. How about we wait more than half a season to make that determination...?

SpeakingOfTheDevils likes this.
  3. Zezel22

Zezel22 Registered User

What kind are you offering? Are you serious with that offer? DM me and we can exchange addresses if you are, thats very kind.

Well, I didn't just bring it up randomly - like - hey guess what I thoiught something about Andy Greene years ago and it was right. Andy Greene is still being fluffed on here by the same people. Thats got a "banging head against the sidewalk" type of effect.

Brooklyndevil likes this.
  4. Zajacs Bowl Cut

who is "fluffing" Andy Greene? You essentially said he shouldn't be on the team (which implies he isn't an NHL player)

I said he shouldn't be on the top pairing, but still holds a place in an NHL D corps

that is somehow "fluffing" him?

5. Taylor Hall

Taylor Hall Registered User

And who are you to judge if an idea is good or not, seriously?

If it was up to you, we'd stay status quo for a decade. Simmonds isn't going to be worth his new deal, we don't need to get tougher, Andy Greene is a good captain, I don't want Kovalchuk back because my kid got heartbroken when he left, etc, etc, etc...

I don't see how your posts are any better than others, when in reality, they aren't.

Zezel22 likes this.
  6. Zezel22

Zezel22 Registered User

lol, yes!

7. Zezel22

Zezel22 Registered User

We can't use the cap space either. It's very valuable.

8. MadDog172430

MadDog172430 Palm Trees

P.A. Parenteau: Calls it a career

In other news, P.A. Parenteau announced his retirement.

He wasn't all bad all things considered in how miserable 16-17 was for us. Put together a pretty decent career given he didn't get a real shot until his late 20s.

Dialamo likes this.
  9. Zajacs Bowl Cut

• Simmonds is likely not going to be worth his new deal.
    • It is impossible to state definitively either way that Andy Greene is either a good or bad captain
    • our general manager has come out and all but said Kovalchuk can screw off. Not even worth wasting anymore time on that bum
    • there are definitely ways we can use our cap space to improve the team. Trading for Milan Lucic or Bobby Ryan's contracts are not one of those.
    there, I think I covered everything. I think those are pretty logical points I just made but who knows with what has gone on the past few days.

10. Setec Astronomy

Getting Erik Karlsson, even with Bobby Ryan's contract, would improve the team.

11. Zezel22

Zezel22 Registered User

Thanks for telling us! What about trading for Erik Karlsson? Can we use cap space for that? Please dad???

optimist34 likes this.
  12. Zajacs Bowl Cut

it would handcuff us significantly starting next year when we are able to extend Hall/Hischier/Bratt

13. devilsblood

devilsblood Registered User

Taking on Ryan's contract would be akin to paying Karlsson about $18+ million a year.

14. OmNomNom

OmNomNom Nico Nico Nii~~~

Engineer
    • there are definitely [realistic] ways we can use our cap space to improve the team. Trading for Milan Lucic or Bobby Ryan's contracts are not one of those.

15. SpeakingOfTheDevils

SpeakingOfTheDevils Devils Advocate

N/A
    I'm not judging anything. I'm simply sharing my opinion that the idea is stupid. If I hit a nerve, oops.

Wrong.

Just because I oppose the idea of acquiring 4+ year albatross contracts to get good pieces, or state my opinion that a certain player won't be worth his next contract... doesn't mean I advocate standing pat. There are other ways to improve the team.

Be careful with your sweeping judgments. Very fallacious.

16. Taylor Hall

Taylor Hall Registered User

Those are opinions, not facts.

It's funny that you think your opinion is wrapped in gold and will definitely go down as you see it. If you would elaborate on your Nostradamus visions, I'd at least "respect" your point of view but you're just throwing **** out there with so much conviction yet you never back up your opinions with any substance.

I know Shero doesn't want Kovy but when a certain poster is saying he doesn't want him back because his kid was heartbroken because he got an autograph jersey a couple of weeks before he bolted to Russia, that's definitely one of the weakest arguments I've ever heard and I'm pretty certain that Shero couldn't care less.

Having cap space is a good thing if you can add something of value with it, let it be picks/prospects/active players. Thinking that wer're landing Tavares or Carlson is a nice dream to have but if we come back down to earth for a second, we have a slim shot at either or.

Now, if we strike out on both UFA's, what should we do with our abundance of cap space? Should we keep it and "hope" to sign someone significant in the next 2, 3, 4 tears from now? Should we take advantage of a team in cap trouble to help our rebuild? Should we make a trade with a team in cap trouble to bolster our current lineup?

I would really like to know what you would do but you never, EVER, commit to anything. You just bash ideas and run away when the question is thrown your way.

If you don't have your own opinion, I don't see how you can comment on the opinions of others is what I'm trying to say.

17. Zajacs Bowl Cut

every single damn offseason for the past few years I have posted an extensive offseason plan of what I would do if I was in charge....I haven't gotten around to doing one for this offseason yet

Do you even know what you are talking about?

18. OmNomNom

OmNomNom Nico Nico Nii~~~

Engineer
    @Zezel22's point is that while it would handcuff our team, it might put us in a position to be very competitive ASAP. we could win a cup ASAP and deal with the consequences later

counter point being, how patient should we be, and when do we start laying the chips on the table?

i'm personally good with the patient approach and seeing where our assets are. I feel good about this young crop coming up, and if we can keep them cost controlled and only have to bring in 1-2 free agents in 2-3 years time to make us cup contenders, then i'll be extremely excited.

19. The Devil In I

The Devil In I Registered User

Yes, I watched the Erik Karlsson show in those playoffs. Ryan did score some crucial goals, but was not really the difference maker you're making him out to be. And I put much more weight on the ~120 games surrounding his 19 game stretch in the playoffs. Declining players still get stretches of good play even if they're largely not a good player anymore.

There are points to be made for either side. Even if the #10 ends up being a bad pick ~3 years down the line, it doesn't mean we wouldn't be getting value in a Lucic trade. If they ended up making the deal we might not even look to use the #10 and instead use it as trade bait at the draft to improve the defense, who knows.

I think if a decent portion (prob at least 2M) of the Ryan contract was retained, I wouldn't be too opposed to taking him on...and with the injuries it is possible that he ends up in a position where he can't play anymore and gets LTIR'd. LTIR'ing his cap hit would make it a great trade, but without that foresight it's a big gamble. It's just that $7.25M for a guy that's been missing 25% of the season and putting up ~30 points, while also paying ~$10-11M for one of the best dmen in the league, is flat out cap destroying when we have to give out raises to our young talent over the next ~3 years.

20. Zajacs Bowl Cut

I don't think that simply adding Erik Karlsson to this team makes us a legitimate Cup contender

because with his and Ryan's contract it basically means we can't make any other moves of any sigificance

Darkauron likes this.
  21. Darkauron

Darkauron Registered User

****ing heck can someone stop this **** show.

I can't wait for the draft to come for everything to settle down at least a wee bit. It can't come soon enough...only THEN will we get a better sense of what sheros plans on.

22. SpeakingOfTheDevils

SpeakingOfTheDevils Devils Advocate

N/A
    Let's be conservative here and say Karlsson extends at a $10M AAV.

Once pen meets paper, that's ~$18M of cap, when you factor in the Ryan deal.

If Karlsson signs for closer to $12M? We're talking 20 ****ing million dollars.

We wouldn't be able to make any other significant moves. Our incredible cap situation and roster flexibility (three years in the making, guys) would be toast. Poof. Gone.

But I know you get it ZBC...

23. Zezel22

Zezel22 Registered User

Generally yes, but I think there is a long way between the oceans of cap space that the Devils currently have and being "handcuffed". Can you recall a time when the Lightning, Penguins, Rangers etc were not able to re-sign a player due to being handcuffed? They seem to always find a way. Yes, eventually the Rangers finally ran into a wall but that was after a decade of uber competitive spring hockey. Even last year, in supposed cap hell, they signed the top UFA on the market, a player the cap free Devils wanted.

You have an MVP in his prime. How long are you going to wait to go for it? I honestly don't mean to be sarcastic, its a genuine question.

EDIT: By the way - I am confident Hall will resign, but I also believe he would like to accelerate the process. Don't you?

24. Setec Astronomy

The conceivable ways to significantly improve the team by using the cap space we have now and will have in the future, which by definition does not include retaining the players we already have, include any of, signing John Tavares, maybe signing John Carlson (some people disagree, I'm not sure), obtain and extend Erik Karlsson which might include biting the bullet with Bobby Ryan, make a trade for some other high priced but excellent player, take on a bad contract to get good draft picks, or wait for another great free agent down the road that may or may not appear.

If you're not doing any of these things, you're saying what we have now plus whatever we might get from draft picks in the future plus minor trades and signings will be sufficient to get the team where you want it to be. I don't believe that's the case.

Zezel22 likes this.
  25. NJDevs26

NJDevs26 Back in the playoffs! #BoyleStrong

So you’re basically admitting you argued under another screen name after trying to pass yourself off as a lurker before...good to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.