News Article: How Noah Hanifin to Vancouver deal could benefit both sides.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by WTFMAN99, Jun 6, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. BROCK HUGHES

BROCK HUGHES Registered User

i highly doubt we move Demko or a 2019 1st rd pick in any of those proposels.We are a lottery team next season,and with the 2019 draft comming to Vancouver so not happening imo.
    Id rather us just draft our own d man who ever it is,,,,stay the course...

VintageBure likes this.
  2. DonnyNucker

DonnyNucker Registered User

Oh ok...I hear what you are saying but that’s not happening. A lot of this chatter about trading picks and players isn’t coming from management and is purely speculation. Every single GM in the league is open to trading their first round pics but that doesn’t mean it will happen. Benning should quick the tires on Reilly and Hanifin. He has to! The team sucks lol. But the odds of either trade Happening are beyond slim

VancouverJagger likes this.
  3. VancouverJagger

VancouverJagger Not trying to fit in

Business Owner

Listen...........where is all this talk coming from? People looking to spread stories. Sure the Canucks have undoubtedly inquired about Hanfin and ROR.........management would not be doing their job if they didn't. We have no idea what is or is not on the table.......it's all conjecture......It makes good copy and helps us pass the time but until they actually make a move involving one of the picks it's simply a rumour - and a rather unlikely one at that.

Personally I think we will still have our first round pick when it comes time for Jimbo to step up to the podium. And as for 2019.......with the draft in Vancouver there is ZERO chance that they trade that pick.

#youarefired

MAGICMAN1963 likes this.
  4. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Every team in the NHL may be open to it but Vancouver is the only team we are hearing these rumours about. And don’t confuse a rumour with speculation. This isn’t TSN1040 wondering if we should acquire Hanifin, it’s a reliable NHL insider (Friedman) saying he has heard there is interest. It may not end up happening but if he says there’s been interest then there has almost certainly been some actual discussion between the teams.

geebaan and Hindustan Smyl like this.
  5. VintageBure

VintageBure Registered User

We need a puck moving dman who can push the pace and quarterback our power play moving forward. Why are considering trading our pick when there are several of them in our drafting range ? Haven't seen Hanafin play too much but he doesn't seem like the player we need.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  6. DonnyNucker

DonnyNucker Registered User

oh I 100% believe Friedman......I just think there is nothing to the O'Reilly rumours. Benning should be fired out of a cannon if he isn't inquiring about a 21 year old top 4 dman

7. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    My thought is that Benning thinks Hughes won’t be available (or he doesn’t like Hughes’ size), while the management team also seems some holes/questions in Bouchard, Dobson, and Boqvist.

I actually do like Hanifin, but just don’t see him being the next Drew Doughty. I think he’ll be in that tier right below superstardom.

Here’s my other thought: I don’t think Pettersson is going to be a Center in this league......and even if he’s capable of being a Center, he’s better as a RW. So - IF we’ve got Boeser and Pettersson on our right side, it kind of does make Virtanen expendable does it not? (And I’m quite bullish on Virtanen just for the record. I don’t really want to give him up).

Carolina’s asking price will likely be 7OA, Virtanen, and Demko. IF they agree to 7OA, Virtanen, and Dipietro, then that might be a deal that both teams agree to. I’m not so sure that I’d go for it however.

Looks like Benning and team has some decisions to make.

8. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

7, Virtanen, AND Dipietro?? Jesus, Hanifin was just a 5 himself and he wouldn’t go 5 in a redraft. I can’t get behind giving up significant assets ON TOP of the 7th pick. And I’m not even one of the ones that thinks Virtanen is going to be anything special. But even still that’s way too much for what he is today.

9. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    Agreed.

I’m not saying that this is what *I* would offer. I’m just saying that if Benning REALLY wanted Hanifin, that is likely the (un)Happy medium that Carolina and Vancouver would come to.

10. Doyle Hargraves

Doyle Hargraves Registered User

You don’t think any of this is these “insiders” trolling Vancouver fans? This fanbase is the most bipolar, hyper sensitive, anal retentive, thin skinned fanbase in the league. This is just what I see on the message boards I visit and from the comments sections on TSN, YouTube, Provies etc. I imagine Twitter is worse? If I was in the industry I absolutely would poke this fanbase for a reaction.

11. ChefBoiRD

ChefBoiRD Registered User

Hargraves you are the voice of reason.

“The media thinks they know but they don’t” - Mike Babcock

“Disrespectful” - Mike Babcock

12. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Depends what you mean by trolling?

Do you mean just to take the piss out of a group of people they’ve never met and have no interactions with just for fun? Like HFB trolling?

Or do you mean dropping crumbs on a large, passionate fan base in order to drive web traffic and re-tweets?

Cause one of these is possible and the other is not.

13. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

If Benning REALLY wants Hanifin then there is no predicting the insanity of trade that he could come up with. You can’t cap it at that and say that’s the worst likely outcome. He could trade the 2019 1st, he could trade Dahlen, he could trade Tanev, he could trade Demko.

There is no confining what Benning could give away if he’s sufficiently motivated to. We can only hope he’s not that motivated.

14. Doyle Hargraves

You don’t think the Canucks fanbase is emotional and unhinged most of the time? They (we) have a serious victim complex about Bettman, Colin Campbell, the Leafs, the eastern writers, Kelly Sutherland, Craig Simpson, Glenn Healy and on and on it goes. We are a bunch of babies. I’d absolutely drop shi!balls so this fanbase would go nuclear. It’s hilarious, the fans eat each other.

15. ChefBoiRD

You can’t tell the unhinged they are unhinged. The dog just ends up chasing his own tail. Not much accomplished

16. racerjoe

racerjoe Registered User

I drive an Olympia
    This week on the 30 thoughts podcast Freidmen actually talks about not wanting to be a mark, and never get factually wrong information from someone. He went on to say he just wants to be able to report the truth. I highly doubt he is just wanting to troll the fans. If he reports it there is truth to it. How much may be subjective, but there is truth.

17. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

I suspect you have a very different take on things than a professional broadcaster like Friedman.

Just a wild guess.

18. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

I think the point is that Friedman isn’t as unhinged or as interested in trolling the Vancouver fan base as some people in the Vancouver fanbase. That being said, I can’t say I’m surprised that some of you think he would. It certainly fits.

19. ChefBoiRD

Regardless is there something criminal about Benning “apparently” kicking tires? The trade rumour mill has always been fraut with illegitimacy, inaccuracies, “LEVELS of INTEREST”. I’m sure you know this, RaguJoe

“The media thinks they know, but they don’t” - Mike Babcock

20. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

But the accusation was deliberate trolling, not inaccuracies.

Stay on the path Chef.

21. Doyle Hargraves

Hargraves agrees with Chef. With the hatorade outfit kicking tires means he’s offered this and that and probably next years pick too.

22. racerjoe

racerjoe Registered User

I drive an Olympia
    Nothing wrong with tire kicking, but when the media has reported is reporting your 1st round pick as being one of the big pieces that may move, you listen. You also look at history and go yes this would line up. You also listen to rumours that say we offered the 7th for him and you shake your head.

I wouldn't mind getting Hanifin, but not at the price that has been reported and talked about.

23. ChefBoiRD

Well true, there is that element as well. Damien Cox has been known to play games with this market, he despises this city, this team, this fanbase. There are other members of the eastern based hockey media whom have let known their feelings towards this fan base here. This is nothing new. And so because of this, it’s easy to assume the possibility of fan emotion tampering on Freidmans part.

24. racerjoe

racerjoe Registered User

I drive an Olympia
    It is offical reports saying we offered the draft picks...

25. Doyle Hargraves

The reports are official from whom ?

Racerjoe reports it back to the camp so let’s run with it?