Proposal: Karlsson to Philly

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by BrindamoursNose, Jun 12, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. duffy9748

duffy9748 Registered User

No issue with patience, but the D is even more disgusting if you swap Ghost for EK. Imagine having him and Provorov on separate pairs. They’d each play half the game. Trade Simmonds for futures and recoup a 1st rounder and your prospect pool is still very deep.

Jared Dunn likes this.
  2. tictactoe

tictactoe Registered User

Karlsson is great but we are trading top 10 scoring d-men under great contract, 24 years old.. who t he f in the league does that(now that Holmgren is gone)? We have other holes. Add Tavares or Kovalchuk or taking a swing at any other high priced forward that can help us.

3. Starat327

Starat327 Registered User Sponsor

Just out of curiosity - which 'half' of the game do you think Provorov - the defensemen who was tied for league lead in goals this year - doesnt play?

4. XeroKaos

XeroKaos Registered User

I'm not a Flyers or Sens fan but I feel like Defence is the last organizational priority for the Flyers right now.. they seem pretty set there moving forward to go after a guy like Karlsson.

5. TSA0402

TSA0402 Registered User

Like the trade for Ottawa(assuming he wont sign). Would have figured ghost was out of the conversation cause Karlsson is a soon to be UFA.

6. duffy9748

Provorov is a beast but I don’t think he can play a full 60 minutes. Maybe when he develops a little more though...

Lana Del Rey and Bruckuss like this.
  7. Tripod

Tripod Registered User

Or keep both and then AT WORST, the Flyers have Provy and Ghost as their top pairing. That allows Sanheim and Myers to "only" have to become middle pairing Dmen.

8. duffy9748

Can’t go wrong either way but I’d rather have two Norris caliber defensemen if it came down to it. It’s noy like making this trade would keep them from drafting and developing other defenseman.

9. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Meaningless leaning mess

Anybody trading for Karlsson has to take Bobby Ryan as well.

10. BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose Registered User

....why?

11. duffy9748

That would essentially kill any return he’d get. Would not be a smart move for Ottawa considering EK can just walk in a year and you’d be stuck with Ryan. Unless the money is that important in which I’d apologize for having Melnyk as your owner.

12. Ouroboros

...because it's the only way for the Sens to get out of that contract cleanly. They are a package deal - doesn't matter if it tanks the return, they are going together.

Ottawa are going to strip their roster down this summer. Cap-floor team next season.

13. tictactoe

If you are adding Bobby Ryan, what do you expect in return?

14. duffy9748

Not saying you’re wrong, but what a mess if true. Especially in a year when they don’t even have their first round pick. That would be a horrendous decision.

15. TSA0402

TSA0402 Registered User

I dont give a **** about Ryan... asset management... lets talk about Ghost for Karlsson. :D

16. BrindamoursNose

I'll bet you just about anything that Ryan and Karlsson don't get traded together.

That would be a horrible decision by Ottawa to impose that restriction. How horrible?

Horrible enough that I wouldn't even consider the Ghostisbehere inclusion anymore. I don't want to trade the OP package for Karlsson anyway, but forcing Ryan into a deal is laughable for most teams. Karlsson's new salary + Ryan's = crap ton of cap.

Tripod likes this.
  17. tictactoe

Maybe BrindamoursNose can connect you to Paul Holmgren office?

18. TSA0402

TSA0402 Registered User

edit : not trying to insult Flyer fans.. I've heard so much garbage thrown for Karlsson. Ghost is pretty much above most of that.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    BernieParent likes this.
  19. Ouroboros

Not much. There aren't many teams who will be able to accommodate Ottawa's ask of eating Ryan's deal - I expect maybe 3 or 4 serious suitors. Vegas. New Jersey. Rangers. Colorado.

I think a 1st round pick, young roster defenseman to take Karlsson's spot and a good but not elite prospect will be the return. Perhaps they get a 2nd round pick or two as well.

Miller/Suzuki/1st
    Severson/McLeod/1st

Deals like that are in the ballpark. A team with money and cap space to burn has an opportunity to get one of the league's best players for pennies on the dollar this summer.

The Senators don't care about getting assets or building for the future - they care about cutting financial liabilities.

Here's what Darren Dreger has to say about how people around the league feel the Senators will appraoch this offseason...

20. TSA0402

TSA0402 Registered User

Thats all good and it might happen, but if we spend way too much to give a mediocre return for a top defenseman in the NHL, there WILL be a backlash in Ottawa . This is more debatable than how insane Hoffman's GF is.

21. tictactoe

Offering Ghost is an insane offer...Should not had happen. Rather wait and see who will we draft with our 2 picks this year and what will Sanheim, Morin, Myers and Hagg do next year.

but since Ryan is offered with Karlsson.. what are you expecting back?

Provorov, Karlsson and Ghost on the same team would be awesome.

22. BrindamoursNose

Huh?

23. CapnZin

CapnZin Registered User

Hockey
    The days of comparing Rubtsov to a Couturier lite are probably gone... but Philly fans shouldn’t worry.

The most time he’s ever spent with a team is 38 games. That’s it. That’s not a lot of time to develop chemistry. For all the times he’s switched teams, he’s been a PPG player on all teams besides a couple where he was either a point or two below.

He doesn’t put up dominant numbers in juniors which is where the doubt comes in- he’s literally a PPG player in juniors.

His game is that of a 2-way forward. He excels much more at the defensive aspect of the game compared to the offensive side. He’s a great skater and has a great wrist shot. His offensive IQ and vision need work though. He will get his seasoning in the AHL and hopefully he can turn out to what the flyers hoped for. If his downturn continues- think Scott Laughton.

The flyers should have no reason to sell low on this devalued asset.

BrindamoursNose likes this.
  24. BrindamoursNose

It really isn't. Karlsson is much better than Ghost. Karlsson is arguably the best defenseman in the league.

Now, factoring in the contract, I don't want to trade Ghost for Karlsson either considering we are not at all desperate for defense. However, if you want a great player, giving up a very good one to get him has to happen sometimes.

25. Boxscore

Boxscore #OldNHL

As a Flyers fan, I would be in favor of a Ghost and 19th overall for Karlsson, if a verbal extension could be worked out.

Karlsson and Provorov on the same blue line would be absolutely disgusting. And the Flyers have had great Swedish players in their history... I'd love Karlsson in O&B.