News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by StvBroDan, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Billdo

Billdo Missing the Swedes

Ah, I did take that a bit too far. My apologies. I'm just surprised how much you've dug your heals in on this with the seemingly large amount of arrows pointing in the other direction.

Of course there's a chance it's not her, but you'd have to imagine that the couple of wives/gfs that have come out in addition to the fact that the Karlssons went so far as to get an Order of Protection means they got some verifiable proof.

2. JrFischer54

JrFischer54 Registered User

The honestly if it’s that convincing the sens should’ve released Hoffman or voided his contract or started the proceedings. This been going on since the end of the season apparently and still haven’t done anything to punish him?

3. NJDevs26

NJDevs26 Back in the playoffs! #BoyleStrong

I actually think Lou would take him before Shero tbh...I mean Lou did roll the dice dealing with shadier characters like Danton, Corrente, etc. While I'm not sure this kind of stuff with the fiance/girlfriend is going to be a total dealbreaker I do think it's important to Shero that he has a certain type of person without any off-ice drama here along with being a player that fits.

4. Bcap88

Bcap88 Muy personality issues

Three sides to every story, the karlsson’s side, the hoffman’s Side and the truth.

We shall see how it works, idk how Canada laws are but here in the United States you need a substantial amount of evidence for a judge to award you an OOP

5. OmNomNom

OmNomNom Nico Nico Nii~~~

Engineer
    i'm with @JrFischer54 on this, even though all signs point to hoffman's gf being "guilty" of this.

in general, the world would be better if people waited for fuller details to come out before making judgements. but it doesn't matter though, street judgement has already executed her and his reputation. i'm really loving this offseason drama :p:

tr83 likes this.
  6. Setec Astronomy

Setec Astronomy Registered User

It isn’t really about Hoffman’s character. For all we know, he didn’t know anything, and he’s been with this woman since he was drafted. The problem is that he’ll have teammates with families of their own. Try being Shero and explaining to guys like Schneider, Vatanen, Greene, Boyle and everyone else that has a family that the 25 goals Hoffman brings is worth the chance that his girlfriend might flip out at one of your wives.

7. Davegarri

Davegarri Nico <3

Yep same here. I'm glad he stood his ground on this issue. We have seen the mindset of many people shift to guilty until proven innocent, and social media is right at the forefront to blame for that. It is refreshing to see that some people still believe in innocent until proven guilty.

The evidence is not looking good for the Hoffman camp, but as of now, she is innocent in my book until proven otherwise. The shame is, if she is innocent, the damage has been done to her image and will take a long time to repair that.

OmNomNom likes this.
  8. MadDevil

MadDevil Registered User

That guy used to kill it in the AHL in NHL 15/16. I ended up signing him to like every dynasty I did.

TheUnseenHand likes this.
  9. tr83

tr83 All I want for X-mas is 6 NHL D-men

Agreed on being patient to wait til all of the evidence is presented. The biggest example of premature public executions was the Duke lacrosse case. I'll never forget that

10. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo Registered User

Government
    Home Page:
    Surely he could do better. That face. Yikes.
    No wonder she (supposedly) did that. She's nothing in comparison to Karlsson's wife.
    Totally unscientific and no idea if she did or didn't do it.

11. NJDevils17

NJDevils17 Going Up?

Hard to imagine why Karlsson’s wife would file the protection order unless she was entirely convinced. You don’t really do that?

Billdo likes this.
  12. Billdo

Billdo Missing the Swedes

I'm not entirely sure what they couldve done aside from waiving him at the moment.

13. Prezidentas Zubrus

Prezidentas Zubrus Palm Trees/MadDog172430

I Can't Live Like That Anymore | By Daniel Carcillo

Fair warning in the video, some NSFW language.

Pretty sobering watch. Say what you will about Carcillo and the role he played on the ice, but I feel for him and anyone who is only just realizing the potential consequences of these head injuries. I also admire that he's willing to push to try and get his fellow players the necessary help they need.

Also saw Nick Boynton released an article around the same time about his struggles since he's retired. It's a tough read as well. :(

Everything's Not O.K. | By Nick Boynton

nugg likes this.
  14. Jabs102501

Jabs102501 Registered User

Yeah it's sad because you see a lot of these stories coming out, and many of these guys are willing to take on that role to stay in the league and make money for their families and folks at home. It's even worse that some guys like Johansson will have to live with this, even though they never took on this role, and people who are in support of Marchand disgust me because players have to deal with lives like this, all due to a cheapshot.

nugg likes this.
  15. JrFischer54

well this entire statement is full of fail lol.

no wonder she (supposedly) did that? lol i dont think ive ever heard that line before

you certainly sound like you made up your mind just on the two appearances alone lol

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  16. JrFischer54

i dont want to sound cruel or anything like that but thats life. no different then the struggles that every day americans wake up working some crap 60hr+ hour job for crap pay where the job is having some adverse impact on their health. only difference is when that "regular joe" gets sick or hurt they get told to piss off and a company finds someone else to chew up and spit out in place of it and their insurance doesn't cover them. its not as "sexy" of a story though.

all these athletes that are having these issues is very sad but honestly you don't have to be a genius to know that these types of physical sports wont have an impact on your health. but guess what? they still signed up and did it because the MONEY was there. just like more will continue to do. these guys made millions had access to healthcare none of us will ever have access to and get a pension.

17. Zajacs Bowl Cut

Zajacs Bowl Cut Nova Nation

some real scorchers in this thread recently, whew

tr83, OmNomNom and MadDog172430 like this.
  18. Prezidentas Zubrus

The lack of compassion towards some of these players because of the roles they played astounds me. People really need to stop acting like the after effects of head injuries leading to permanent brain damage and early onset dementia was common knowledge until fairly recently.

You're also dealing with guys who will tough any injury out in order to get back on the ice. At the same time, they're putting their trust and faith into their team's medical staff under the impression that they're getting proper treatment for these injuries, which has clearly been shown as not being the case the majority of the time.

It goes without saying there are way worse jobs and careers for way worse pay out there. Just because that is not OK also doesn't make any of this OK just because they're millionaires.

19. JrFischer54

really? so up until recently you thought getting bashed in the head constantly wasn't going to have negative effects on ones health? count me one of the few people then that knew it would cause harm to you.

none of this is ok millionaires or not but they still have a choice like everyone else. they made theirs and they have to live with it just like we all do. The difference is they are financially better off to prepare for those hardship then regular working folk. if they saved their money or not is another story.

you can call it lack of compassion but it really isn't. getting paid millions of dollars to play a sport that is dangerous and then complaining about the risks after the fact? doesn't fly with me. you can argue and say the teams and doctors for them lied and let them play when hurt. well at that point you should realize your own body and what its doing to you not some doctor who's being paid to tow the company line. heck you have a union that should looking out after you. file a complaint

20. Wingman77

Wingman77 Registered User

Her lips may be more fake than herself based on this story.

21. Prezidentas Zubrus

Not at all what I said. Anyone can recognize concussions and head injuries are bad. The after effects of multiple and severe brain trauma and what could potentially happen has quite clearly not been spotlighted until the last 5-10 years. Even then, it is still in the early stages of pinpointing connections between CTE and the diseases that can occur. This was absolutely not spotlighted the way it is currently.

You're making the assumption that every athlete comprehends this and knows the risk of what they're doing, but I'm more than willing to bet the majority is not under the impression they could potentially grow depression and anxiety issues due to their brain trauma. It all goes back to how mental health is viewed and that it needs to be taken more seriously. And yes, you saying their "complaining" not flying with you is lack of compassion. They're shedding light on what they're going through in order to help others experiencing the same. They're advocating for something better. Taking it any other way is missing the point.

22. kyle evs48

kyle evs48 Devilish Boy Grin

I don't think the issue of Carcillo and others is that they didn't know hockey was dangerous. Their issue is not with the game of hockey. Suggesting that demonstrates ignorance of the issue.

Their issue is with the NHL, for suppressing information and education on the long term effects of repeated blows to the head and CTE. Bettman has denied the correlation on record.

nugg and MadDog172430 like this.
  23. JrFischer54

REALLY? i guess your right why would i assume grown adults can't comprehend how their actions have consequences.

a grown man that chose to play a sport for money that gave him this mental health issue is a lot different then someone growing up and having this stuff happen to them. while its great that these guys are bringing light to the subject to me the two types of people suffering one had a choice and is now sick. other people dont have a choice and get sick. thats where i think your getting my lack of compassion from.

to the second part i bolded

what light needs to be shed on this subject? if your 14 years old and playing and are going to go pro there is no light that needs to be shed. if you play this sport chances are something bad will happen to you. if you choose to play it then i dont know what to tell you but save your money for when you get sick. i guarantee you people still knowing the risks will still play the game so again what are we really talking about? feeling sorry for someone that chose to play this dangerous sport and now is sick? you want to feel sorry go for it.

24. JrFischer54

in your first statement you just defeated the second statement.

if everyone knows its dangerous then why the hell does it matter if gary bettman or the nhl admits it? what information is being suppressed? what education do people need?

25. kyle evs48

kyle evs48 Devilish Boy Grin

They chose to play a sport for money that gave them mental health issues - without critical information that the league continues to suppress. That's the whole point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.