News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by StvBroDan, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. kyle evs48

kyle evs48 Devilish Boy Grin

The long term danger hasn't become clear until recently. Nobody talked about this until Boogaard and Montador died. So a lot of active and recently retired players did not know about CTE when they chose hockey as their careers.

It matters that the NHL admits it because it's the equivalent of calling the earth flat. There is obviously a problem and a correlation.

I've never been in the NHL, so I can't tell you what they are or aren't telling players about long term brain health. I can tell you they are telling the public that there is no connection between hockey and CTE. But if you pay attention to some of the people who advocate for this kind of education - like Carcillo - you may get a better sense.

sabremike, nugg and MadDog172430 like this.
  2. JrFischer54

JrFischer54 Registered User

i guess we just have different opinions so whatever. to me you dont have to work for nasa to know that you will have negative health effects playing physical dangerous sports. thats just me

3. JrFischer54

ok so the issue is the nhl refusal to acknowledge this. so the nhl comes out and acknowledges the sport is dangerous and there is a link. they say play at your own risk? will everyone shut up about this then? is that all it will take?

because again i guarantee you the nhl will still have people playing. because everyone thinks it wont happen to them until it does

like if the nhl does come out and admits all this then what? whats the end game? to get the education (that is already out there) in the textbook? then everyone will be happy?

4. kyle evs48

We're allowed to have different opinions and discuss them, but it just seems like you're willfully ignoring the whole point.

Nobody's saying they thought they would play sports for 35 years and emerge unscathed. They were oblivious to certain health effects, like 3+ concussions increasing your chances of Alzheimer's or dementia by 5x.

Responding to your most recent post, I believe the players should be as informed as possible. The league should acknowledge all of the health effects it knows of.

I don't understand why you feel people need to "shut up" about brain health.

sabremike and nugg like this.
  5. Prezidentas Zubrus

Prezidentas Zubrus Palm Trees/MadDog172430

All of these quotes from Boynton's article show that mental health cannot be oversimplified, and that the league is not doing enough to acknowledge or help in treating it.

sabremike and nugg like this.
  6. Call Me Al

Call Me Al Registered User

no no this is clearly a black and white issue where athletes play sports for a living and therefore any consequences for their actions whether or not they were intentionally misinformed about the health ramifications later in life should be completely disregarded because they made a lot of money! idiots

7. JrFischer54

i actually was able to just watch the video of carcillo.

of course he will take everything back if he could. he is sick. i 10000000000000000% guarantee you if he wasn't sick he wouldn't take anything back. at the time he was playing or before going pro he knew the risks but he thought he was invincible and nothing bad will happen to him. now he is paying the price. he was more then fine taking the risk when he was cashing those checks and living the high life with chicks and the cup but now the bill is due.

also its amazing at least in the video that he doesn't take the least bit of responsibility? like everything is on the nhl? like they forced him to play the game? forced him to be a grinder?

8. Call Me Al

they shouldn't speak out about it now? some of these players were lied to by team doctors. a lot of them basically succumbed to "hockey culture" that says they have to play through injuries, which is exactly the type of mentality that they are trying to change by speaking out. none of them expected that the last 30 years of their lives would be spent suffering because none of those studies were done and long term brain trauma from these wasn't fully understood.

you don't have to be a nasa scientist to understand that the league had and still has an interest in not fully disclosing the effects of this, as evidenced by the fact that they still won't publicly acknowledge a link between concussions and cte

Last edited by moderator NJDevs26: Jun 13, 2018
  9. JrFischer54

wow way to over simplify things.

i dont have a phd you dont have one either. rewind the clock 15 years ago. did you as an adult (i assume) think getting your head bashed in repeatedly would have no negative effects on your life as you got older?

yes? congrats you like me are one of the few apparently thought this way.

no? well then let me show you this bridge i have to want to sell you. trust me its perfect!

yes they did make a lot of money doesn't make what happened to them any better. all i said which of course again people like to twist. the millionaire athletes that chose this profession are a lot better equipped to handle the burdens of this illness then someone who works 60hrs a week

10. Call Me Al

who's oversimplifying now?

11. OmNomNom

OmNomNom Nico Nico Nii~~~

Engineer
  12. JrFischer54

lol i hear twitter guy! i've already said 3x its my opinion but i keep getting sucked back in

13. JrFischer54

to defeat sarcasm one must!

14. OmNomNom

OmNomNom Nico Nico Nii~~~

Engineer
    nowadays, most people want others to admit their wrong and apologize (even if they don't mean it)

the league admitting it won't change anything, even if it's more of a recent realization. they're probably afraid because of the legal action.

but let's say they did admit it, consequences aside. all that happens is that fighters and players will have fair warning that they might get long term side effects from concussions, and that they probably should quit if it happens too much. that literally changes nothing going forward.

15. kyle evs48

Nothing, except for a rather large moral crevasse.

16. billingtons ghost

billingtons ghost Registered User

This is a pretty good post.

There's a big gap today in understanding what is 'right' versus what is 'just' and also a big effort to oversimplify the world's problems into things that are 'solvable'. There are no shades of grey anymore in any discussion. There are certain things that are a shame, and too bad - but they aren't necessarily 'wrong' nor need fixing.

Life is all about opportunity costs, and the fact is that several hundreds of thousands of dollars and an opportunity to play a game you love on a big stage + brain damage might just eek out spending the next 50 years of your life operating a fork lift somewhere near Moose Factory- and drinking yourself to death or dying of cancer because you smoke 2 packs a day.

It's sad, it's a pity, it's a shame - and there are certainly people who were taken advantage of - but let's get down to the nut of it:

If you don't know by the age of 5 that it is a bad idea to get repeatedly hit in the head, well...

The 'But...I didn't know it would be so bad!' phrase can be applied to everything from doing too much coke to second marriages.

OmNomNom and JrFischer54 like this.
  17. neelynugs

neelynugs Registered User

was wondering as you guys saw lots of kovalchuk - did he ever play RW? i always remember him at LW, cruising around the left side a lot.

18. Billdo

Billdo Missing the Swedes

Yes, often. Deboer kinda forced him over there.

19. njdevil26

njdevil26 I hate avocados

Real Estate Appraiser
    Late to the party....

But I was thinking this as well. You can’t just get a restraining order withot concrete evidence. The offender is served with the restraining order too.... it’s not just something you can get because you THINK someone is harassing you.

Also, I am on the side of “she is guilty”
    Some random internet troll being a terrible human being would have no access to the information that she was taking pain killers while pregnant. (IF true). For these players wives to come out and say these things speaks volumes, especially with Mrs Hammond alluding to this being a long running problem. It’s sick. I hope Mike Hoffman really is stupid and had no idea... this woman could really damage his career.

20. Tundra

Tundra Registered User

I agree. We live in this coddled society where personal responsibility and self-examination is frowned upon. People foolishly expect others to look out for their welfare and avoid critical thought. No one wants to assess the risks vs. rewards. Playing a high contact sport prone to collisions and pugilism isn't exactly a healthy profession to maintain one's brain, especially if you are a NHL enforcer.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    OmNomNom and JrFischer54 like this.
  21. nugg

nugg Swamp Dragons!

I suppose he thinks it could be some kind of crazy jealousy on her part, which could be the case.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  22. Tundra

Tundra Registered User

Wasn't Lou dragged into a similar legal battle with Peluso?

23. tr83

tr83 All I want for X-mas is 6 NHL D-men

The link between concussions and CTE is undoubtedly fact.

There's still a LOT about concussions that is unknown. What kind of blows cause the most injury? How much damage is caused by a blow? How long does it truly take for the brain to heal itself, if it truly heals itself? How does the brain heal itself? How does the brain compensate for injured nerves?

And the NHL needs to take guys like Marchand, who blatantly take runs at guys heads, and suspend them for a VERY long time.

While these guys are millionaires, how fast will they deplete their funds if they have to get constant medical treatment? **** is expensive and guys can go broke in a hurry.

24. devilsfan35

devilsfan35 Registered User

Oh man Ottawa is a complete mess. Karlsson has now asked for a trade and even if they do trade him an try to tank they don’t have a first round pick next year :laugh: I’d hate to be a senators fan right now...

OmNomNom likes this.
  25. Cage Helmet

Cage Helmet Thank you Marty!

Give me EK65. Hoffman can pound sand.

MadDog172430, tr83 and Cult of Hynes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.