News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by StvBroDan, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. devilsfan35

devilsfan35 Registered User

Honestly I feel that if he does get traded it’s going to be some crazy 3 way trade involving Colorado so Ottawa can recoup their first rounder which could very likely be jack Hughes lol

2. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

When Adam Oates was an assistant coach here, he forced Kovalchuk to move to RW (just like he forced Ovechkin to play there when he was head coach in Washington). While Kovalchuk did play RW, he often would (perhaps out of habit) cut to the LW in transition with the puck anyways. He could play RW, but I think he is more comfortable on LW.

3. jkrdevil

jkrdevil UnRegistered User

How well known were Hoffman’s gf troubles known around the league? I know it has been hinted a few ex-send have had that issue. Might explain why he couldn’t/didn’t trade him at the deadline as rumored.

4. Cult of Hynes

Cult of Hynes Hynes is never wrong.

Man, I feel for Ottawa fans.

5. MadDevil

MadDevil Registered User

I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas doesn't revisit an Erik Karlsson trade. They've gotten a taste of success and I don't think Foley is going to want to rest on his laurels. Could you imagine if they traded for him and somehow convinced Tavares to sign there?

6. billingtons ghost

billingtons ghost Registered User

Without a doubt he's most lethal from the Ovi spot on the left side - but as others had said - DeBoer liked keeping guys on their proper wing for some reason - and in truth, we had Parise locked in at LW with us, so it was only natural that he move over to RW.

Hate the guy because my 7 year old got his #17 jersey signed weeks before Kovy 'retired'. How do you explain that the next season? (I'm wondering how I'll explain it next season, now that the boy is 13!) damnit...

He was a hell of a player for us - complete horse. But he's still that frigging enigma. You'll love it when he's scoring and smiling, and you'll wonder why he seems to dislike his own team and fanbase and just exist 'outside of it all'.

I thought a run to the Cup Final would have cured him of all that, but...

I think everyone here will roll over and die if he comes back to us - we're all ready to hate him some more if he goes to the Rangers... seems like the perfect sort of thing for him to do.

7. sabremike

sabremike Gritty/Sabretooth 2020

I've said this elsewhere but it bears repeating: how did the "they knew the risk" arguments work for the tobacco lawyers? How many times this year did we see some guy get a blow to the head and the league did nothing? Hell we saw it in freaking game 4 vs Tampa this year. The league doesn't give a crap about making the game safer when that is not only very reasonable but is 100% the right thing to. Players ending up as quasi vegetables is NOT acceptable.

8. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo Registered User

Government
    Home Page:
    And you completely failed to pick up on me saying that it was in jest due to her looks.
    Hence my sentence after saying it was completely unscientific and don't know if she did or didn't do it.
    Plus the fact the original post was the photo joking around that she has a sociopathic look. You didn't jump on that did you?
    I'm well aware on the basis of a photo alone is ridiculous.

9. nugg

nugg Swamp Dragons!

Twisted jealousy is a thing. Especially for people with borderline personality disorders. It may be something like that.

10. devilsblood

devilsblood Registered User

Well we are not talking about people who don't know each other here. The owners and the players are very tied in. And sure the players, at this point, know that concussions and head injuries carry long term ramifications, but that doesn't let the owners off the hook. They are making a bunch of money off of this too. They have responsibility. They are part of the deal, in fact they run the show.

And you could say, hey the players don't need to play, they could do something else, but the owners don't want that. They want the best players, that's why they pay them so much money.

These guys that are coming out, don't want hockey to stop, in fact they are looking out for the long term health of the game itself, as much as for the players.

11. Devils Dominion

Devils Dominion Need a 1LD

Overall yes, but a good chunk of them on HF are anti-Devils, so not them.

12. kyle evs48

kyle evs48 Devilish Boy Grin

Shhhh. You're coddling these millennials.

13. JrFischer54

JrFischer54 Registered User

and yet people still smoke and will continue to smoke. just like people know the risks of playing hockey and football and yet they will still play it.

you smoke ciggs you will get cancer
    you play contact sports you will have issues
    you drink a lot you will have issues

so again you make the choice and you have to live with it.

like i said before if the nhl comes out and admits all this stuff is connected guess what? people will still play the game. a lot of people take jobs for a lot less money because they have to even though its dangerous for their well being.

14. kyle evs48

MadDog172430 likes this.
  15. kyle evs48

Of course people will still play the game. But they will choose to play the game with more awareness of the long-term health effects. That's all anybody wants.

16. OmNomNom

OmNomNom Nico Nico Nii~~~

Engineer
    they all know the risks, but like most people, would take the risks with the money that's involved in playing the game. the potential of a concussion or two would never be enough to stop me from getting even the league minimum, if i had the ability to play.

it's not like they came straight from the womb and play in a vacuum - the league breaking the news that "multiple concussions can have long-lasting effects" wouldn't be some huge shock to players

17. kyle evs48

People know more risks now because people dying in their 30s and 40s have brought more risks to light.

If you're calling it "the potential of a concussion or two" I think you're missing the big picture.

It won't be a shock if the league admits the truth. It will be the equivalent of a surgeon general's warning label. Why would anyone (besides the league) be opposed to the league admitting it?

18. OmNomNom

Engineer
    lawsuits. if this digs into previous owners/GMs knowing the risks, but not sufficiently warning players (or not having it on record that they were warned), then there WILL be legal action.

19. kyle evs48

Sorry for not clarifying. I am looking at the league and owners as one, since they share the same interest here.

How can any fan be opposed to this kind of awareness?

20. OmNomNom

Engineer
    fans aren't opposed to it, and i agree with the surgeon general warning concept. I also think that even if they did admit it, not much would change, other than lip service.

but i don't think it's in the league's best interest to admit it, since it starts a very expensive down-hill tumble, financially. at the end of the day, the NHL is a business. now, whether they WILL admit it in time or not is still to be seen

21. kyle evs48

It seems like some are (not necessarily you).

Of course the league doesn't want (and probably can't afford) an NFL-esque class action lawsuit or settlement. I understand why they're denying, but that doesn't change that it's reprehensible and flat earth-level stupid.

22. sabremike

sabremike Gritty/Sabretooth 2020

What if it came out that awhile ago the tobacco companies had a chance to greatly reduce the health risks of their product but declined to do so? That's what the NHL has done and continues to do, and that's a big freaking problem.

23. NJDevs26

NJDevs26 Back in the playoffs! #BoyleStrong

I don't know why when you're TWO WEEKS away from talking to other teams you'd sign an extension, guess Dreger's bored.

glenwo2 and Darkauron like this.
  24. Triumph

Triumph Registered User

A lot of players have described free agency as stressful. Especially for someone like Tavares who is going to get 12 different offers - how does a person weigh all these offers? How does a person weigh money versus location? If Tavares has a number in mind financially and he's comfortable with the Islanders, he should just take the deal before free agency.

25. Nubmer6

Nubmer6 We want... Information

It really depends on what he priortizes. I'm not sure what he wants, and by the sounds of it, he's not quite sure either.

Also, I'm not sure he's actually going to get THAT many offers. There's a limited number of teams that can free up the cap space to grab him without seriously damaging their team elsewhere. Also, I don't know how serious he is to go to a contender, but I'd think he'd want to go somewhere with at least a chance of getting to a cup. I think that would rule out a few teams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.