Pretending U R An Optimist - When do the Canucks Make the Playoffs/Contend?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by VancouverJagger, Jun 9, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Smeg off

Tradesperson
    Id think you gilded your own comment if I wasnt sure you were too cheap

2. Melvin

Melvin I mean Sponsor

Data Nerd
    Best case scenario is team gets off to another terrible start and benning is canned in January or so. I doubt they have the stones to fire linden but he'll move to some other front office job ala Lowe in Edmonton.

A good gm can take over and start purging the garbage from the roster, building around Horvat and Boeser. I don't think it takes that long. These guys are Morons but they aren't wrong about turning things around in a hurry. In a capped league it can definitely be done if you know what you're doing.

With a half decent front office I can see us being contenders by 2020 even.

3. Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck Lose for Hughes #2

Edler-Dobson
    Juolevi-Tanev
    Tryamkin-Stetcher

Solid defence to me.

VancouverJagger likes this.
  4. Canadian Canuck

Lol garbage

Numba9 and Bonose like this.
  5. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    2018-2019: we miss playoffs but finish around 10th-12th.

2019-2020:we make the playoffs. We finish 8th but end up licking the gonads of the top seed in a 4-5 game loss.

2021-2022: this where I believe the Canucks will take the next step. I think the Canucks will be a worthy 2nd round team here......and possibly for the majority of the next 10-12 years from here on out. They will either get upset in the first round, be on par with a 2nd round loss, or have a surprise post 2nd round appearance.

2022-2030: impossible is nothing.

6. I in the Eye

I in the Eye Drop a ball it falls

For ****'s sakes... a bare minimum requirement for this board should be to think and type. "lol, garbage". Explain why, or piss off.

7. Canadian Canuck

My bad, but honestly do You think we're going to be rebuilding for almost 7 years? That's insane man. Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Juolevi, Virtanen, #7 Overall, Demko, Dahlin, Lind, Gadjovich etc. Even if only half these guys reach their full potential, it does not ake 7 years to do so. 3 years and we'll easily be a playoff team just you wait.

8. I in the Eye

I do... but, yeah, we'll see... I'd love to be wrong. We're already 4 years in, and at best, we've been in " minimum prospect collecting mode". There hasn't been a rebuild strategy put in place, IMO, for things to turn around sooner rather than later. But, again, I'd love to be wrong.

9. Canadian Canuck

I hear you, but if it takes us 7 more years, that would be a total of a 12 year rebuild. That's ridiculously long. And yeah I agree with you we need to seriously aquire more picks. There's no reason a rebuilding team should be heading into the draft with only 6 picks....

10. PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin Registered User

This sounds awfully similar to when Benning regimes good picks get appointed to a certain scout but bad picks are Benning's picks.

Carolina had a 9 year playoff drought, that is still going on.

geebaan likes this.
  11. PuckMunchkin

At my most optimistic.

We might sneak in to the playoffs, like we did the last time, as early as 2020-21.
    But building a team that should be there and could make noise will be a bigger challenge. Look at the depth that the Jets, Preds, Caps et co. are icing. We are 4 top six forwards and 2 or 3 top 4 D-men short and that is thinking Demko will pan out as a franchise goalie.

I'll say we are a contender somewhere around 2022-23 earliest. The bad contracts and wasted / traded picks, to me, tanks the "first rebuild" that would have been around and after the ELCs of Boeser and his youngster buds.

12. I in the Eye

It's long... but we're just entering into the ReBuilding the ReTool stage (not sure if we're even there yet (I don't think we are, some say Benning learned and we are... but we still might be fully into the ReTool - I'll believe we're not still in the ReTool when I see it). The previous 4 years are a write off, except for Horvat, Boeser, and Pettersson (prospects don't count, to me, until they make the team and are proven to be NHL players first... and special NHL players second). ReTool so far was 4 years... I'll assume 2 more years of basically more ReTool, and thus, WriteOff (with perhaps 1 or 2 more non-write off things)... Then new GM takes over (with underwhelming depth and roster full of misfit toys), and it takes him 4/5 years to rebuild and become a playoff fighting team... Then, like Nonis, is fired for not being able to make the playoffs with the "core", consistently... New GM is hired (the future Gillis-type), who adds some key pieces for depth... and a legit playoff team is formed a year or two later. I think history is going to somewhat repeat itself here. It's not being intelligently designed, so it's going to form slowly through trial and error and time... until an intelligent designer grabs the team by the balls to push the team over the edge. This team is not properly rebuilding... I don't think it's even starting to this year (despite what some are saying). I don't think can count on this taking sooner rather than later, and assume that the future is going to work out nicely, when one day the future is going to be the present. A Benning built team in the present is a lot worse team than a Benning team envisioned for the future. It's a dark time, and I think it's going to be longer and harder to climb out of, then a couple or a few years. The league is half-full of non-playoff teams that have a few good to great players on them. I hope it doesn't go on for as long as I think it might.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Canadian Canuck likes this.
  13. pgj98m3

pgj98m3 Registered User

Edler is clearly aging, Tanev is clearly made of glass and aging,Dobson and Juolevi have yet to play a game in the NHL, Tryamkin is in Russia and Stecher is not an NHL defenceman on a competitive team......
    Looks like smoke and mirrors to me.

6768clintoncomets575 likes this.
  14. PuckMunchkin

This I disagree with;

Canucks Army Year in Review: Troy Stecher

15. Canadian Canuck

Troy Stetcher is a #5-6 offensive defenseman

16. krutovsdonut

krutovsdonut holy makarov!

well you can blame benning for the particular tactical moves to implement a strategy perhaps, but i thought about it hard before i said it and i stand by it. i think it has become increasingly obvious that the strategic direction of this team is set by ownership and all its major moves are closely vetted by ownership. if the canucks make a major win now trade or ufa signing it will be because ownership wants that to happen and the bigger the move the more likely it will be ownership driving the decision.

17. krutovsdonut

that's an inspiring article. watching stecher, nobody on the team prepares or tries or wants it like that guy. if anyone can transcend their own size and talent limitations and become elite simply by outworking everyone else and throwing 100% into every shift, it is stecher. i would not trade the guy even though there is a good chance he is a career #6.

Bonose likes this.
  18. racerjoe

racerjoe Registered User

I drive an Olympia
    I would say a now move is probably more s symptom of ownership saying we have been waiting five years, we better win now, and management saying well **** we better really try and win now.

I think it is fair to say ownership probably liked what Benning said, quick turnaround and all when they first hired him. They were probably looking at a management team that would do that, however it is on management to not just sell what ownership wants to hear but also what can be done. Clearly they couldn't do it.

19. Paulinvancouver

Paulinvancouver Custom Title:

they'll win the stanley cup this coming year.

20. pgj98m3

pgj98m3 Registered User

But when you watch him play you can see the mountain he will need to climb........

I don't see hanging my playoff hopes on a #6 defenceman.

21. krutovsdonut

i do not see hanging it on what he might fetch in trade either.

22. Art of Sedinery

Art of Sedinery Registered User

Don't have to pretend, 19/20.

23. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

So we are currently the 2015-16 Winnipeg Jets? Just 1 more playoff miss away from returning to the dance?

Cause when I look at that roster and then at our roster I’m really not seeing the proximity.

My “optimistic” sense is 2021-22, and that’s if we hit every draft out of the park and actually make a couple good trades in between as well. No more Gudbranson, Eriksson, Sutter nonsense.

pgj98m3 likes this.
  24. vancityluongo

vancityluongo Twin Benning Sponsor

How far off are we from being the 2016-17 Colorado Avalanche though?

No idea if these were the lines, but based on games played this was gist of the roster:

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Bourque
    Comeau-Duchene-Iginla
    Nieto-Grigerenko-Rantanen
    Martinsen-Soderberg-Colborne

Barrie-Johnson
    Beauchemin-Tyutin
    Wiercioch-Zadorov

Varlamov
    Pickard

They turned that around to a playoff team in one season. The playoffs are not an immensely high bar to reach.

Canadian Canuck likes this.
  25. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Maybe but prior to 2016-17 they had 82, 90, and 112 pts going back the past 3 seasons. Which one of those teams are we even close to? The 112 one that was 4 years away from playoffs? The 90 pt team that was 3 years away? The 82 pt team that was 2 years away? The 2016-17 team was seemingly an abberation and even then the bounce back was driven in large part by an MVP worthy season by Mackinnon, a player we have no equivalent to.