Pretending U R An Optimist - When do the Canucks Make the Playoffs/Contend?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by VancouverJagger, Jun 9, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Etteduag ot Reseob

Etteduag ot Reseob Kesaj ot Drassarb

Student
    Yeah will probably be someone better

2. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope 7th Overall is my jam

3. JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson Registered User

Canucks can contend for the playoffs, next year. Benning seems to be seeking a center and a defenseman. He might land big fish?

4. Wo Yorfat

Wo Yorfat dumb person

If existing prospects pan out at a really high rate, and we have 2 good offseasons, have an absurdly heathy year, and other teams in the division struggle, it's not completely outside the realm of possibility that we could compete for a spot in 19/20.

But it's far more likely that we miss comfortably until 2022 or so. I'm just hopeful that we don't sign another huge anchor over the Summer.

5. lindgren

lindgren Registered User

6. pgj98m3

pgj98m3 Registered User

It takes virtually nothing to “contend for the playoffs” with the current points/playoff structure. To be competive is something else altogether.

7. tantalum

tantalum Registered User

Chemist
    A) Seriously contend for playoffs (and to me that means year after year not a one off). The second full season after Benning and Linden are fired is when that starts.

B) Make the playoffs. Well if they are seriously contending it could occur in the same timeframe

C) no clue. But you'd hope it wouldn't be much more than year 4 post-Lindenning

8. lawrence

lawrence Registered User

Hoping 2021 which will be the team 50 year anniversary.

9. skyo

skyo Dahlen-Pettersson FTW.

Did you negative and depressing HF folks see how long it took Ovechkin / Capitals to finally a win a Cup? no?

Let me break it down for you....nah I won't but he's 32 years old.

And everyone's favourite top GM's in the game - Poile no Cups (salary $ capped ok), so onto everyone's other fave GM in the cap era Yzerman - he literally walked onto a team that had just drafted Stamkos and Hedman...he has no Cups with that squad, Stamkos is now 28 yrs of age, Hedman 27.

So "Pretending U R an Optimist" or not, it's not so easy to win a Cup in this league no matter what your FAVE GM's are doing in the league.

Look all I'm saying is patience and stability, that's the key, you get yourselves some key players to keep and build around and you draft around em, that's what Jim Benning should be doing.

This team has never had any patience, I think with JB around and his way above average ability to draft, he deserves some slack to build a solid team around his picks/trades............Pettersson, Boeser, Dahlen, Goldy, Virtanen, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Juolevi, Chatfield, Demko...& in 2020 Tryamkin.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    SomeoneGreat likes this.
  10. canuck89

canuck89 Registered User

During our two most recent Cup runs, our leading scorers were mostly between the ages of 25 and 30 (which makes sense, since that's usually considered the "prime" of a player's career).

Given the ages of our current young NHLers and top prospects, we probably will be able to be competitive again a few years from now (in the early 2020s).

And, since the Canucks have made the Cup Finals once every 14 years for their existence, on average (1970-1982; 1982-1994; 1994-2011), a Cup run in 2025 seems about right.

In June 2025, Boeser will be 28, Horvat will be 30, Pettersson will be 26, Goldobin will be 29, Stecher will be 31, Juloevi will be 27, Dahlen will be 27, Lind will be 26, Demko will be 29, and I'm sure you could look up the ages of some of our other young guys and prospects, too.

Now, rosters can change, and we don't know if Benning (or his successor) will actually keep all these guys in Vancouver, but hopefully after a couple more years of pain, we can finally start going back up again.

11. BobbyJazzLegs

BobbyJazzLegs Sorry 4 Acting Werd

how old is ovi? when bo is that old

12. BobbyJazzLegs

BobbyJazzLegs Sorry 4 Acting Werd

great post.

in a more general sense though - definitely no guarantees. making the final is a huge achievement.

having a real shot when you get there is the key. losing when you have that obviously hurts.

still going to be a while before looking back at 10/11 as something to be proud of, but it will be one day

13. Melvin

Melvin Abaddon Sponsor

Data Nerd
    The caps have been contenders since Ovi was like 20

PuckMunchkin likes this.
  14. brokenhole

brokenhole Registered User

The potato could have drafted better than that.

geebaan likes this.
  15. Ryp37

Ryp37 Registered User

Just randomly listing prospects nullifies any point you make

JB should be let go before he wastes more assets on **** players, simple as

geebaan and brokenhole like this.
  16. Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz Registered User

54d5695a870e74ef30bbb7581711d4d1.jpg

17. Shareefruck

Shareefruck Registered User

Software Developer
    I feel like the reasoning in your argument seems to favor the negative and depressing viewpoint more than the other way around.

Hit the post and geebaan like this.
  18. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Be gentle

What I don't understand is why so many people are so upset with us.

I mean, if you want to talk about how wonderful Benning is and how great the future is, it's not as if there aren't fora you can do that on. There's reddit, Canucks Corner...at CDC deb bans you if you even look sideways at a picture of Linden or Benning. There's three different online homes right there for all your BENNING IS AWEOMSE!!! needs. Why would that not sate your desire? Are you that insecure that you can't tolerate any dissent? What, are you sitting there happily talking about how wonderful Juolevi is going to be at some distant point down the road, but just have to respond to us if we don't agree? I've seen no shortage of people falling all over themselves to tell us how stupid we are...why do our opinions bother you so damn much if we're so stupid?

I've seen lots of crap about echo chambers, but I don't register accounts on other sites so I can rant about how stupid Canucks fans are, now do I?

19. Shareefruck

Shareefruck Registered User

Software Developer
    Not saying this is everyone of course, but over the past few months, I've heard a few serious arguments from certain fans about how the toxicity of fan criticism can have a harmful and crippling effect and create a toxic environment, not just for the other fans, but for the players/organization itself (and hurt its progress as a result), as well as arguments about fans not necessarily wanting to be rational and instead wanting to embrace extremist, zealot-like fanaticism because it's part of the definition of being a "fan".

That kind of breaks the possibilities wide open.

If someone actually subscribes to both of those things, that can potentially explain a "Do not tolerate any dissent! Defend the honor of the team at all costs!" mentality.

CanaFan likes this.
  20. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Be gentle

The idea that it's our fault the team's crap because we're not supportive enough is just another blame deflection tactic. It's sad, it's old, it's tired, and it shows precisely zero awareness of how any other fanbase in any other sport conducts itself. Oh, it's "toxic" that we're all not rallying around Dear Leader...yet somehow it's not toxic to constantly create online sock puppets for the sole purpose of making ad hominen attacks against posters like y2k or MS. Or hell, you or me. It's just a scam. It's propaganda plain and simple. Whether it's being done by people associated with the team some way or other or if it's just some really dedicated trolls it really doesn't matter.

CanaFan likes this.
  21. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    I don't buy that at all, like the players are really going to care what some fans on a message board thinks. Or at the very least, far more damning to the pro players is seeing their building empty out and finishing in the basement year after year, and that has nothing to do with any internet forum.

Should also point out that it's management that people on here trash on, Linden and Benning. Not the players.

sunnyvale420 and CanaFan like this.
  22. Dave Lister

Dave Lister 3rd Tech 1169

Tradesperson
    I agree but players do get trashed here as well. When deserving it

23. VancouverJagger

VancouverJagger Not trying to fit in

Business Owner

I don't think the defence is as tough of a fix as you suggest. Get somewhat fortunate this year and draft a top 2 guy.......In the next 2-3 years OJ turns into a top 4 guy. Tryamkin comes back in 2 years and all of a sudden we have 3 solid pieces...........And you gotta think someone we have now will step up or develop (we may have Edler still and hopefully get a return on Tanev).

Yes right now the defence is an absolute tire fire........that could change pretty quickly though if things go well in the next few years......there's definitely some uncertainty with that "IF" however it is definitely within the realm of possibility.

24. VancouverJagger

Business Owner
    Share please..........whatever drugs it is that you are on.......:thumbu:

25. VancouverJagger

Business Owner
    WE get it - you aren't happy unless you are unhappy and complaining...........we shall leave you in peace to revel in your suffering.

Don't bang on the people who actually have some hope left and want to see this team succeed........even if it is with current management.