OT: Souray: To the people of Edmonton

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by oilers_smyth_94, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Replacement*

Replacement* Checked out

A lot of us were. I supported the same view as you in those threads and thought it patently ridiculous that a pro team was forbidding one of its contracted players from attending camp for such reason.

Tambo even invoked basically that Souray was akin to bubonic plague attitude;) and he didn't want players to be infected.

I went as far at the time as suggesting that Souray could hire lawyers on behalf of a defamation lawsuit.

2. Up the Irons

Up the Irons Registered User

oh yeah. Spec set him up... to so degree at least.

3. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Registered User

I took my kids to the skills competition while Souray was injured and he was signing and handing out water bottles for kids. My 10 year old boy waited in line and when he got to the front, he looked Souray up and down and said "You don't look very injured to me."
    Maybe it was all my kid's fault.

4. Supermassive

Supermassive Vegas Dreamin’

Government
    There are a few angles that most people don't know about. Bottom line is that the conduct on both sides was abysmal, and they certainly deserved to be each other's problems.

5. Connell McWilson

Connell McWilson Oilers & Seahawks

Bartender
    Back then us Oilers fans were stuck in the whole Hall, Omark, Paajarvi, and Eberle (H.O.P.E. anyone remember?) euphoria and the start of what was suppose to be the beginning of an "Oil Change".

Most fans wanted Souray off just so his supposed "bad attitude" didn't pollute the dressing room. How wrong and naive we were back then....:shakehead

6. DasDrai

DasDrai Registered User

Listen to the latest Spittin Chicklets podcast.

He talks about Edmonton. Good insight to how he and a few others were treated by the coaches and training staff.

He didn't want to fight Iginla but the coaches made him. Interesting.

LeafChief likes this.
  7. Paralyzer

Paralyzer We're Back.... :D Sponsor

I still remember video taping THIS beauty! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

McAsuno and DasDrai like this.
  8. Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins Sometimes Miracles

Public Servant
    Nice to see a player speak positively of the city and their experience in it.

9. Digger12

Digger12 Gold Fever

Technical Analyst
    I dunno. Sheldon's free to say what he likes of course on an incident that was over a decade ago now, but as I recall at the time it sure seemed like he was wanting that fight to happen, supposedly as payback for a sneaky dirty play Iginla did on him earlier in the year that put Souray on the shelf for a while, it was something like a slewfoot or push into the boards when Souray was vulnerable. It seems strange to me that the coaches would be wanting him to fight at a time when management had received a list of teams from Souray where he'd accept a trade, and were actively trying to find him a new home before the trade deadline.

Not saying he's completely wrong, but there's two sides to every story and the storyteller is almost never the villain in the telling of it.

10. McJesusSaves97

McJesusSaves97 Registered User

Teacher
    I loved Souray even if it was for a short time. My Souray jersey just sits collecting dust in my storage room, next to my Schultz jersey (don't laugh!)

11. MoneyGuy

MoneyGuy Wandering

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Is that your hall of shame?

ulyssesjoyce likes this.
  12. McJesusSaves97

McJesusSaves97 Registered User

Teacher
    Yep, Drai, Nuge & McDavid jerseys are in my closet.... Schultz, Souray, and Lupul are in the storage room Lol

13. Smartguy

Smartguy Registered User

Had a listen to, first show I’ve listened to actually, pretty good. Souray didn’t blame anyone in it, but his experiences definitely shed some light that he shared into some management issues that were around then, the craziest part I thought was when he said he showed up pre training camp just to visit, coming off major shoulder surgery and not due back till November. An unnamed coach goes by him and goes “your hurt” like he wouldn’t know... then goes to the trainers office. The trainer comes out and tells him to get ready for testing, and in his head he’s like I can’t lift five pounds, but he says no one forced him but he didn’t want to look weak, especially after his coach sort of singled him out. Came back in October and hurt it again

This coach also made a comment on the way out like “we don’t want you to be a slow starter”

14. McAsuno

McAsuno 5-14-6-1

LMAO.

15. LeafChief

LeafChief Registered User

I thought it was an awesome episode. Souray seems like a good guy.

I've been really enjoying the podcast even more since they brought in Bissonnette full time. Now if they could only get rid of R.A.

16. Joey Moss

Joey Moss 5-14-6-1

Get rid of the guy who started it? I don't see any issues with RA, I actually like him.

Bissonnette fits well but his 'dumb guy' humor is just not funny at all. I couldn't watch his BC documentary, his narrating was too cheesy.

17. VainGretzky

VainGretzky GO CAPS GO

What they did burying him in the minors ,was as ignorant as it comes . Souray handed a olive branch to make things right and the arrogance of Lowe and Tambo brutal .

harpoon likes this.
  18. rboomercat90

rboomercat90 Registered User

What I found interesting was Whitney commenting on the training staff from back then. Said they’d been doing the job for such a long time that it had probably passed them by. Most of us rolled our eyes when those guys were the sacrificial lambs that season but maybe that was something the team got right for once.

19. LeafChief

LeafChief Registered User

I thought his docs sucked as well. Couldn't make it through the first 15 minutes of the first one.

20. harpoon

harpoon inching up the mountain ... lmfao

And don't forget Katz. He's a pretty humble guy too.
    Seems to know a lot about how to own an NHL franchise and hire the best people to run it for him too.

Seeing this old bumped thread though ... the thing that stands out most is some poster named Replacement who has damn near 50K in posts and not a single like. :lol:

21. Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl Civilized Worm

heh, I see a poster who's statement years ago were pretty bang on, as were yours on the topic. Its kind of scary we had all this nailed, before the era of likes..;)

Back then saying that Tambo and the Oilers were responsible was more likely to yield something other than likes. Whether it was proved correct or not.

In anycase past comments were so bang on I haven't needed to add to them.

Hope Souray is doing well. Nice for him to recognize the fans at least enough of them, loved him.

harpoon likes this.
  22. Jamin

Jamin Registered User

People are mixing up the timelines in this thread. Souray was earlier. It was 2010 training camp when Tambellini banned him. He had been on the team when we were "competing."

23. rboomercat90

rboomercat90 Registered User

Yeah. His first training camp, where he was rushed into coming back from injury would have predated Tambellini and Katz, iirc. Lowe would have been GM. Mactavish head coach and I think Simpson and Huddy would have been the assistants. This was the “make them practice on Christmas Day” era. They were an embarrassment of an organization long before Katz bought the team. That’s why it was easy to see what kind of owner he’d be when he didn’t clean house the moment he took control of the team.

24. MessierII

MessierII Registered User

Yeah Souray fiasco was before we had even drafted Taylor Hall. Eberle was playing in Regina and Omark and Paajarvi were in Sweden.

25. Night Witch

Night Witch Next year

I must have been in the 0.01%. Management was garbage then and got worse with time. Souray was one of many cautionary tales about the clown show that was Oilers mgmnt.