Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Soli, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Hynh

Hynh Registered User

Disgusting.

2. Joey Moss

Joey Moss 5-14-6-1

I would be fine with Kravstov.. his playoffs in the KHL were very impressive. Seems like a big riser.

HailMcJesus and bobbythebrain like this.
  3. McDNicks17

McDNicks17 #OrangeBlueZoo

Kravtsov worries me just because basically no one in the hockey world was talking about him before those playoffs.

Were scouts that high on him before that and we just weren't hearing about it or is he getting overrated because of a really good small chunk of games?

4. dustrock

dustrock Too Legit To Quit

Rodrigue at 40? I almost dislocated my skull I rolled my eyes so hard

780il and McFlash97 like this.
  5. McDoused

McDoused Registered User

Hes just doing that thing were he recommends complete crap so we are all happy when we enivitably dont take that player. Instead we go off the board with a slightly better option.

6. RaabHart

RaabHart Where's the Hart?

I know they didnt mention them but Hallander or Ylonen at 40 would be a steal. Rodrigue would ruin the draft. I wouldnt take any goalie in the top 60 of this draft.

dustrock, HailMcJesus and belair like this.
  7. McDoused

McDoused Registered User

I really wish we had more darts to throw at the dart board. I really question chia's ability to acquire picks. 2nd round picks are a common currency in the NHL and we have only had one 2nd rounder in the past 3 years while has been at the helm. Meanwhile a team like Tampa has 6.

It's hard to blame the scouts when they arent given any ammo.

8. ManitobaKid

ManitobaKid Registered User

Kravtsov is going to be a guy that in 5-8 years make people regret passing up on him.

Imo he will be the next Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Kucherov. Maybe not at that level, but same conversation(draft steals, Russian)

bobbythebrain likes this.
  9. Paralyzer008

Paralyzer008 Registered User

Well, let's compare their draft years:

Kuznetsov: 0.23 PPG KHL, 1.78 PPG MHL, 12 points at WJC-18, 2 points at WJC-20
    Tarasenko: 0.57 PPG KHL, 5 points at WJC-20
    Kucherov: 0.22 PPG KHL, 1.41 PPG MHL, 21 points at WJC-18

Kravtsov: 0.20 PPG KHL, 0.69 PPG KHL playoffs

I'll say this - he's a bit behind the 3 above season-wise, but not by much. He's much more unknown because he had no exposure at a tourney, but his playoff was big enough that he's easily first round talent and maybe not far behind those 3 potential wise.

Better bet than Grigori Denisenko, who is sitting at a 0.71 MHL PPG and didn't score a KHL point in the playoffs.

Also, Bulat Shafigullin - 1.64 PPG MHL, 0.12 KHL - not even ranked by NHL Central Scouting...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 1:37 AM
  10. belair

belair Registered User

I wouldn't read too much into PPG numbers. Slepyshev had better ones than many and it turned out that playing at that level early in his career likely stunted his growth offensively.

11. HailMcJesus

HailMcJesus Registered User

I would absolutely love to get Bulat Shafigulin with one of our picks.

And Rodrigue would be horrible at 40.

12. LaGu

LaGu Registered User

Maybe it's because of his dyslexia... :dunno:

If he is there at 10 OA I think it is a no-brainer really.

I don't think this is a red flag or anything. The kid is 17 years old and is just on his way into a season where he'll not be playing against kids any more. This is a good time to gove him that kick in the butt to say that things are getting real. Sweden's youth program has always been different from NAs, much more soft management of players but when you're taking the step up things change drastically. Other quotes from the same piece are that Bendelin (SWE U18 coach) says that Boqvist is the best player he has coached ever, and that is with 4 decades of coaching experience.

Anyway, I had a feeling he'd still be there at 10 OA, but I am beginning to doubt it lately.

Aerrol likes this.
  13. BoldNewLettuce

BoldNewLettuce Esquire

In chias defense it defies logic that a 2nd wasnt added in the hall trade.

nally likes this.
  14. Burnt Biscuits

Burnt Biscuits Registered User

I remember hearing a similar argument for Lawson Crouse, people saying he'd be a great forward and his defensive game would carry him through, he's been pretty underwhelming to this point. Putting some weight into numbers probably would of saved Florida from making a mistake there, you got to scout the kids, you can't just read a stat sheet, but the number of OHL forwards with a goals per game average of 0.33 or lower in their draft year who went on to be a player of note is very small, I poured through lists on Elite Prospects for like 15 mins and only 2 names stuck out to me in James Neal and Ryan O'Reilly (both were 2nd round picks), with the benefit of hindsight they should of gone earlier, but you don't take that kind of gamble with a 10th overall pick given the probability of success.

I'd also like to point out that 18 of the last 25 Selke winners were taken after the first round, quality defensive forwards and centers can generally be taken later in the draft.

Well he's undersized to start and it's fairly rare to see an undersized d-man get a lot of hype, then he's also getting those points by consistently making good decisions, not super sick dangles or a lazer beam of a shot that can be seen a 3-4 min highlight reel video. Also the big hype tends to come from players who stand out in international competition, the U-20 WJC's in particular, whereas Smith's best work was in the Dub.

As I showed previously in the thread that one article compiled 16 different draft lists and it averaged out to Smith being #10. He seems to be fairly well respected on the whole by experts. The average fan is always seems biased to going for the flashy guy, it was crazy how over the moon the fanbase here was to get Rob Schremp cause he had that "big upside", but in that draft year I liked his teammate Dave Bolland better and we would of been better off picking him.

Having said all that I feel like I've been forced to become a Ty Smith cheerleader when there are like 8 players I'd take before him, just because so many people are hating on taking him at our selection.

Aerrol and dustrock like this.
  15. Zaddy

Zaddy Vive la France!

I would be thrilled with Hållander at #40. I haven't seen Ylönen enough but he's a really good skater, soft mittens and a decent shot IIRC. Bit scared of him though as he's a late birthday and played in the finnish 2nd league this year, don't really know how to gauge numbers from that league.

Emil Oksanen played in the same league and for the same team last year, putting up 13 goals and 19 points, which isn't THAT far from Ylönen's 14 goals and 27 points. Both played 48 games, yet Oksanen went undrafted while Ylönen is pretty much a consensus early 2nd rounder.

That's kinda curious to me. From what I've seen they're not that different in play style either. Oksanen had a better shot but Ylönen probably has him beat in hands, skating and playmaking, but I think Oksanen isn't terrible in those areas either.

Oksanen's junior numbers in his draft -1 season was also vastly better than Ylönen's, although Ylönen had a much, much better U18's tournament. I wonder if that is where the hype is coming from. How many scouts actually watched Ylönen in Mestis this year?

This is what has me worried, but I guess it's hard to go wrong with speed and skill with the way the league is going so maybe Ylönen isn't such a bad pick after all. My main concern is how his game is going to translate to smaller ice. He's really skinny too (listed at 6'1, 168 lbs) and doesn't look like a guy that'll be able to put on a ton of muscle.

16. rambo97

rambo97 Registered User

17. McCupofOil

McCupofOil Still Evaluating

Picking a goalie in the 2nd round is even more ridiculous especially after they just traded up for Skinner who is tracking well.

I guess Michaels and Stauffer forgot that high end offensive defensemen is their biggest need so instead they have them taking a center who has 3rd line potential as Michaels put it, a forward who most people know little about as Stauffer put it or Smith because he can skate, has high character and is familiar with Western Canada and a goalie in the 2nd. Oh Dear Lord

18. McDNicks17

McDNicks17 #OrangeBlueZoo

The big difference is Crouse was playing prime time minutes while putting up those numbers.

And I think we can agree Arizona didn't do him any favors. Throwing him on an NHL 4th line at 19 years old might be the last thing you want to do with a prospect like that, I'd say.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:07 AM
  19. ManitobaKid

Does Smith remind anyone of McAvoy in his draft year?

20. nexttothemoon

nexttothemoon Registered User

I had McAvoy as the #3 pick in his draft behind only Matthews and Laine.

I don't have Smith that high. I'd rate Smith as more of a mid-1st round pick.

21. ManitobaKid

Show me where you had McAvoy at #3

22. Stud Muffin

Stud Muffin Registered User

Not one bit. Play style is completely different. McAvoy is also bigger than Smith.

23. nexttothemoon

24. ManitobaKid

25. nexttothemoon

Not sure why it doesn't show up when you click that... may have something to do with the settings each person has for the HFboards site... I set it for 30 posts per page... maybe some people have it set differently so it doesn't come up the same way.

Here's the post from June 2016...

My top prospect list based on expectations of how they may pan out in the NHL...

Matthews
    >>
    Laine
    >
    McAvoy
    >>>
    Thompson
    >
    Brown=Sergachev=Tkachuk
    >
    Chychrun
    >>