The Sbisa Effect

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by billvanseattle, Jun 8, 2018.

1. billvanseattle

billvanseattle Registered User

Engineer
    So interested to hear how people view this.

I constantly heard, on VCR HFboards, for a couple of years that Sbisa was a horrible D man, overpaid and shouldn't be in the NHL.

I never understood it myself. I thought he was probably slightly overpaid, and we had hoped for more in the trade that brought him to us.

The Canucks have been underwhelming, and Sbisa fit into that narrative perfectly.

But the fact is that player after player is vilified on here for playing pretty much at their normal ability. We have seen that many times. We expect more from a player than their actual ability. Now Sbisa goes on to play for Vegas, at the same level we saw, and he was a decent depth defenseman.

And Vegas had 12 - 14 players just like him, and went to the Stanley Cup finals.

I honestly think that fans expect more from every player than is reasonable.

We have had 3 players in the last few years exceed expectations. Horvat, Boeser and Tanev. The rest have been pretty much as expected.

We have a pretty crappy team right now. We had a pretty good team for 6 - 7 years, and didn't get top ten draft picks. Or really any top 20. What did you think would happen?

We are entering a better period. A lot it it depends on Petterson, but there or 4 or 5 others that could decide whether or not we contend.

But it is tiresome to hear that player X should be closer to Orr than Sbisa, etc.

We certainly have had consencus complaints about Edler, Bieska, and others that they have either regressed , or failed to improve or whatever.

Please, if you are an honest fan, temper your expectations. Accept that players or going to not improve every year. Sbisa played to the level that was reasonable. And accept this across the board.

Numba9, UticaHockey and JuniorNelson like this.
  2. sunnyvale420

sunnyvale420 Doug The Thug Glatt

Tradesperson
    Those boneheaded giveaways aka serving pizzas were the reason he was loathed here. He was the only thing we kept from the Kesler trade, Add in his 3.6m a year salary and Im not sure what the confusion is all about.

Megaterio Llamas, Caspian, PM and 2 others like this.
  3. Hammer79

Hammer79 Registered User

I think that a lot of the grumbling had to do with his salary. He's a third pairing guy, but JB gave him a bridge contract with middle pairing upside in mind. He didn't live up to that upside, he is what he is. I'm just glad that VGK took him off our hands for free.

geebaan likes this.
  4. StrictlyCommercial

StrictlyCommercial Registered User

Sbisa is a borderline NHL player who our GM sought in a trade for our best asset and proceeded to give a huge contract to despite that. He is a special case. If he were paid the same salary as Biega or Aaron Rome, people wouldn't vilify him, but just accept that as what you get for a depth defenseman.

Caspian, thefeebster, timw33 and 2 others like this.
  5. Hit the post

Hit the post Registered User

Professional Slacker
    $3.6 million isn't slightly overpaid IMHO. That he received a raise in spite of a subpar first season with the Canucks (not the least of which Benning had all the leverage in the contract negotiations) merely added to the feelings of #$%@#$%.

As to him as a hockey player? I wouldn't have a problem on the Canucks on the 3rd pairing *assuming he was paid as such*. But we already have a monopoly of 3rd pairing or worse D on the team.

timw33, The Extrapolater and geebaan like this.
  6. mossey3535

mossey3535 Registered User

He made plays slower AND worse than Derek Engellund. Think about that.

He looked bad on our bad team, and he looked bad on their good team.

Honestly he makes so many subtly terrible plays - all you have to do is actually watch just him for a shift. He constantly chases, gets turnstiled, goes to the wrong side of the net, watches the play, isn't physical, takes too long to make decisions, is constantly making weak clearing attempts, dumps it out when he isn't under pressure, etc etc.

And those are the things he does poorly - I don't even need to mention the pizzas and really obvious bonehead plays.

thefeebster, timw33 and geebaan like this.
  7. RobertKron

RobertKron Registered User

Sbisa’s first season here he was laughably terrible. He was the target of a major trade, although everyone rightfully thought he was a cap dump, and then the GM extended him at an unreasonable salary. He improved a bit over his time here, but was still outlandishly overpaid. Also one of a small handful of players I can recall where you can actually see them thinking in real time when the puck unfortunately ends up on their stick in the D zone.

Good guy, though, who obviously cared and knew he needed to be better.

Vegas got him for free, and as an expansion team the cap was no issue, so he was able to just be a not very good player but quite likeable guy.

MS and timw33 like this.
  8. mossey3535

mossey3535 Registered User

It's not unreasonable to expect a defenceman, or any player to play the basic techniques of his position most of the time.

It is possible to cheer for this team but understand which players are crap. Furthermore it's also possible to cheer for the team and wonder what might have been if our assets had been managed better. So I'm supposed to temper expectations when there was a reasonable chance for us to have gotten Theodore or Vatanen instead? What for?

I shouldn't hold players and management to a basic level of performance?

I put my money and time into the team since I moved to the lower mainland and that includes good times and bad.

If anything we've been too lax on the absolute incompetence displayed on the ice and off.

9. RobertKron

RobertKron Registered User

Also, I wish folks would stop using Aaron Rome as a comparable.

Rome was a limited player who was able to be more-or-less solid until he ended up outside the context in which he should be used. He made the correct, simple play most of the time. Take care of your area of the ice, and chip the puck out of trouble. You weren’t getting anything much more than that, but you also weren’t expecting anything much more than that.

That’s the player that Sbisa should aspire to be. Instead you get this unpredictable guy who you never know what he’s going to do, where he’s going to go, or where the puck is going to end up.

Caspian likes this.
  10. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Be gentle

Oh ffs.

Sbisa is like literally every other Dman Benning has brought in here via trade or ufa. Some (or one or two) good parts of their games, fatal flaws in others. Bartkowski: good skater, good at literally nothing else. Pouliot: great pass out of the zone, decent instincts in the o-zone, horrific in his own end. Larsen: good at...being there. Bad at hockey. Gudbranson: strong profile, good in commercials, occasionally shoves people after the whistle, sucks at hockey.

Sbisa: good physical game, tough for a Euro, but still prone to crippling giveaways at the worst possible times. We saw it for three solid years, man. The guy just directly caused the game-tying and game-winning goals that gave the other team the Stanley Cup.

I mean, damn dude. If you're going to go to bat for a player, at least make it a good player, man.

PM and Hit the post like this.
  11. JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson Registered User

Canucks are a poo show. It's not useful to point at Canuck stats. Inevitably, the player will have been forced into some alien role or other atrocity. Sbisa looks decent in Vegas, Tryamkin is decent in Russia, Hamhuis was decent in Dallas. They were not tied to a slow forward group and the new coach/media/fanbase didn't blame them for system inadequacies.

Canucks fans do not have reference points. Every aspect of their team is marbled with rot. A good player looks feeble, here.

12. Wo Yorfat

Wo Yorfat dumb person

Sbisa was probably a bit overpaid = crocodiles probably aren't great house pets.

13. Askel

Askel By the way Benning should be fired.

Chef
    Tryamkin looked good here.
    Hamhuis looked decent here, and should ha e been traded or re-signed.
    Sbisa looked like crap here and then was Vegas no 6 d-man,

14. Zippgunn

Zippgunn Registered User

I clicked on this thread expecting it to be a slamfest of abuse on Sbisa but your post surprized me and I agree with you. Needless to say every subsequent post was what I expected. And people wonder why we have so much trouble attracting free agents....

15. Wo Yorfat

Wo Yorfat dumb person

Ooh, an interesting theory! Players don't want to sign here because if they play terribly, fans on message boards will discuss their terrible play. Well thought out as usual.

16. Bim Jenning

Bim Jenning It's Aquilinis fault

Sbisa is probably the worst dman in the NHL. When he was on the ice it was a shooting gallery on Fleury.

17. voicing my opinion

voicing my opinion within HFBoards rules

Didn't we establish in the other thread already that this also why Juolevi's progress hasn't been up to par so far?

18. Melvin

Melvin is on a pasta-free diet. Sponsor

Data Nerd
    I was looking through the twitters near the end of the game and it was a very strange and funny thing to me.

Fans from all over were talking about Sbisa. Vegas fans venting, but also Ducks fans and even Flyers fans laughing about how Sbisa was the same D-men they remember from their teams, and posting about how ****ing terrible he is.

....and then, for some reason, mixed in with all this negativity from fans from all these different fan bases, were a bunch of tweets from Canucks fans, whining about people being mean to poor ol' Sbisa.

I thought it was the weirdest thing.

Example:

And like, there were a lot of these, all exclusively from the Canuck fanbase.

It's really, really strange and funny.

19. Hit the post

Hit the post Registered User

Professional Slacker
    You still shining that gold medal for Willie? Both seem to be very decent human beings (Willie & Sbisa) but sports is a cruel sport that often rewards bad people.

20. Bitz and Bites

Bitz and Bites Registered User

Good rant but you forgot Del Zotto.:popcorn:

21. billvanseattle

billvanseattle Registered User

Engineer
    On a slightly different subject, it would have been nice if we had signed Erikkson to a $3.5M annual 6 year contract, with $.5M bonuses for 15 goals, 20 goals, 25 goals, 30 goals etc. It would be a lot less painful than whats going on now. We should be signing free agents to contracts with bonuses that alleviate the pain if they **** the bed, and reward them if they do well. And free agent signings should have bonuses based on whether or not we make the playoffs. And how we do in those.

22. cookiefest

cookiefest nothing matters anyway.

What’s with the constant Sbisa pity party continuing despite not having played for us for over a year? If you can’t see why he was disliked here for 3 whole seasons then you weren’t paying close enough attention, blunders like what he had against Washington in the 3rd period in Game 5 are examples of why he was criticized for his play, that was not a one off performance for hime. The other problem is that he was the first in a conga line of failed defensive acquisitions by Benning and hid pro scouts.

23. Doyle Hargraves

Doyle Hargraves Registered User

There’s more than enough hatred and vitriol on this board to balance out any pity parties. The guy has been gone a year and the bitter gang is still screaming and yelling about him. I love it!

24. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

I think you need to double check who started this thread. Most of us realists were content to chuckle at Sbisa giving the Caps the cup and leave it at that but then this thread popped up. Whaddya gonna do?

25. Doyle Hargraves

Doyle Hargraves Registered User

Fair enough. As I said I wasn’t a fan of him and hated his contract. I just saw this thread and didn’t read the op until you mentioned it. Just saw a bunch of posts from posters who seem to bathe in their own hatorade and responded. Thing is there’s three or four pages of Sbisa loathing in the around the league thread too. Haters gonna hate I guess.