The Sbisa Effect

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by billvanseattle, Jun 8, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. racerjoe

racerjoe Registered User

I drive an Olympia
    And he has been gone longer on both the flyers and ducks, yet they too were talking about how bad he was...

2. Doyle Hargraves

Doyle Hargraves Registered User

He is bad. We agree on this. I doubt very much whether he gets this much attention from either fanbase though. It is what it is. Far be it from me to get in the way of a lynch mob. Hargraves is a peaceful happy soul. He will let people wallow in their own misery if that is the path they choose

3. racerjoe

racerjoe Registered User

I drive an Olympia
    How many other assets traded their best asset for him then gave him a raise and kept him over better options? How many of those teams also have people starting threads like this or have people trying to justify how good he is? What came first the chicken or the egg?

4. ChefBoiRD

ChefBoiRD Registered User

Poor ole Sbisa, any chance for the frenzied fan base to pile on him, it will happen. I hardly fault the game winning goal on him. Defencemen and goalies are always thrown under the bus in losses. The Caps had the momentum of a freight train, destined. You could throw shade at Fleury on the same goal for mishandling the save. Rave on, mob.

Zippgunn likes this.
  5. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Beautifully done Chef. With your talent for deflections you could probably score 30+ in the NHL today. How’s your skating?

6. Doyle Hargraves

Doyle Hargraves Registered User

Because it was Sbisa for Kesler straight across

7. racerjoe

racerjoe Registered User

I drive an Olympia
    To management he was clearly an important piece. Looking at the contract, and again keeping him over better options. Also again who started this thread? It wasn't someone saying he is terrible, it was someone defending him. If no one starts this thread the topic is almost dead. It was a few comments in the Around the league saying why is he played he is still terrible.

8. Hit the post

Hit the post Registered User

Professional Slacker
    Might've been better off that way as it would mean no $4+ million dollar 3rd line center with a NTC.

9. ChefBoiRD

ChefBoiRD Registered User

Nah, I like Lockwood the forgotten one

10. RebuildinVan

RebuildinVan Registered User

I actually felt bad for the guy. I watched earlier playoff games and he was fine, no Sbisa-like giveways and pretty involved. The Caps forwards were all over him and eventually he was exposed at a really bad time

11. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Be gentle

And Clendening, Wiercioch, probably more. Wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list.

12. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

Yes, that was the Sbisa we saw at times in VanCity....but I agree that generally he was fine for most of these Stanley Cup Final. And like a lot of players on the Knights, Sibsa is a character guy who'll find work in the NHL somewhere next season....just won't be in a Canucks uni.

13. Hansen

Hansen BASED JIM BENNING

Corporate Banana
    A Tomas Holmstrom for our age

14. billvanseattle

billvanseattle Registered User

Engineer
    Hmmm did people even read what I said. I didn't even say he was decent. Said he was a somewhat overpaid 6 - 7 defenseman. He's a borderline NHLer and we overpaid for him. Do you expect a 5 - 6 D man on the canucks to play like a top pairing guy? I think the bashing he got on here was harsher than he deserved, not that he was underrated. And Vegas had 30 players that were basically top 10 - 12 players on other teams, and Vegas decided he was in the top 6 of the 13 (I believe) D men that they drafted.

15. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Well you should take that up with Canucks GM Jim Benning who said he believed Sbisa could develop into a top 4 Dman when we acquired him.

16. Shareefruck

Shareefruck Registered User

Software Developer
    I will never understand the continued defense that this guy gets, game after game, year after year, even after he's gone to another team. He's about as frustrating of an NHL defenseman as I've ever seen play. Physically, he's solid, but nearly every decision he makes (even the really simple ones) is a terrible one.

PM and geebaan like this.
  17. tyhee

tyhee Registered User

tired again
    In the regular season he was the Knights #7 defenceman. He had also been their #7 early in the playoffs but he got into the lineup and stayed there late in the playoffs. I don't know to what extent injuries played a part, whether Trotz moved him up to get someone who would push back in the scrums during play stoppages or if he was really seen as among the top 6.

I had him lower than you-I thought he was a depth defenceman (i.e. not a #5 or #6 even on the Canucks) being paid like a second pair guy and played as if he really was a 2nd pair d-man.

But that's not on him. He didn't openly display anything troubling in personality or characters and if he was paid and played as a #7 wouldn't have drawn nearly so much criticism.

18. Bitz and Bites

Bitz and Bites Registered User

Oh yeah,forgot about Clenenning...might have been the worst of the bunch.Guy's been cast off by more teams than Sbisa and in a shorter time.

19. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    It mostly gets brought up because Benning gave him a multi-year extension that rated him as a 2nd pairing guy, with both Benning and some fans claiming he's still 'young' and can develop into the role.

I could be wrong as I'm not a good scout my take on Sbisa has always been that he's a good teammate with a decent skillset who is highly prone to making boneheaded mistakes that end up in the back of the net. But because mistakes like this tend to be erratic he can occasional put together a string of games where he doesn't make in and fool fans, and unfortunately for us some GM's, that he's turning a corner and can be a good dman.

The counter argument had always been that by the time he got him regardless of age he'd already played almost 300 games so what you saw was what you were going to get. But of course then we've gone and done the exact same thing with Gudbranson.

20. Zippgunn

Zippgunn Registered User

Willie did a helluva lot better than Peters with a vastly inferior lineup. I just love how so many "fans" here love to crap all over Canuck players/coaches both past and present. Sbisa's no Doughty but he's nowhere near as bad as people here insist. Nor is Willie. Now, back to the Benning bashing...

billvanseattle likes this.
  21. Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas woo eggenberger

Home Page:
    And it won't be for $3.8 million or whatever ridiculously inflated number it was that we were paying him. I agree he'll probably catch on somewhere even if it's as an unsigned camp invitee. And failing that Europe could be a good option.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  22. terrible dee

terrible dee Registered User

On the day of the trade I had a friend, a ducks season ticket holder, laugh in my face and ask me if our GM was an idiot,

He told me Sbisa would do exactly what he did, serve up pizzas

When you think how dumb someone has to be to get ripped off in the Kesler trade the way he was it makes you angry that such a person is GM of your hockey team,

When you think that every player we ended up with, ended up being a faltaly limited fringe NHL'er, the best of whom is a 4th line center (Sutter) the worst a sham of an NHL defenseman (Guds) and that one bad asset was taken for free (Sbisa) it starts to dawn on you just how awful a GM would have to be to fail this badly, then to realize that person has been extended....

23. Hit the post

Hit the post Registered User

Professional Slacker
    To be fair, I think in his last season with the Ducks (might've been the prior season, I don't remember exactly), Sbisa was switched over to his off side (right side). It was a disaster. If you're going to get anything good out of him, he should be stuck to the left side.

24. me2

me2 Calling out the crap

He's constantly at the bottom of any team he plays on in Corsi. He's been dead last for regulars in the Vegas post season. Dead last in their regular season. He was dead last every year in Vancouver, except one, where he was 2nd last to AHLer Ryan Stanton.

Of all NHL defensemen with 400+ games, he's 2nd last overall.

If you don't like the fancy stats approach their is always the eyeball test: pizza pizza pizza.

25. daddyohsix

daddyohsix Herding Cats

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, it's . . .

Megaterio Llamas likes this.