Proposal: Toronto/Columbus

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by meefer, Jun 11, 2018.

1. meefer

meefer Registered User

To C: Gardiner and Johnsson
    To T: Savard and Jenner

Things may need to be tweaked, but does this stand a chance?

heybuddyhowyadoing likes this.
  2. CBJFan827

CBJFan827 Y'all are exhausting

I'm assuming that's Andreas Johnsson? I know nothing about him other than he's seemed to put up some points for the Marlies. What's his NHL projection look like? Does he look like just an AHL All Star (not enough skill to stick as a top 6 forward, not enough other elements to warrant bottom six minutes) or is there more there?

Beyond that, despite my misgivings about Savard as a player, I don't think getting rid of one of our few RHD for another scoring LHD makes much sense. It would open up some cap for us after this next year when Gardiner's contract expires, especially with the inevitable Panarin and Werenski extensions next summer.

That's about as close of value/situation as I've ever seen on a trade. I don't know enough about Gardiner/Johnsson's situations to say if it's a good move for the CBJ, but it seems on the surface fair.

Smif and Viqsi like this.
  3. Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn Registered User

Johnsson seems like he'll be a 2nd/3rd line tweener, very good skater and puck handler.

Value seems pretty solid

4. CantLoseWithMatthews

CantLoseWithMatthews Registered User

I'd rather take out Johnsson and Jenner and work around Gardiner and Savard. Columbus would have to add though

5. AnishLoomba

AnishLoomba Registered User

No thanks from Toronto. I like Jenner but not savard. He and zaitsev on the backend for 3 years at nearly 9 million is not something I'm a fan of. I would rather target a different Columbus blue liner.

6. HailMcJesus

HailMcJesus Registered User

Not bad at all.

7. Notsince67

Notsince67 Registered User

Johnsson has great speed and hands. Was diagnosed with asthma later in life and ever since getting medication, his career has soared. Will definitely be on the leafs roster next year, likely replacing JVR unit. He is totally solid.
    Gardiner is a very decent defenseman who is stupidly prone on occasion to take on too much risk. Fast skater and wicked shot. Leafs would keep him if his salary wasn't going dramatically up.
    Why do you have reservations on Savard

8. Viqsi

Viqsi chief justice, HFCBJ morality court

Jackets 1st, Preds 2nd
    I'm not sure it does. We don't realistically have the ability to spare RDs but have a ton of LDs. If we can get Johnsson at a deal comparable to or better than that which Jenner would take, then maybe it'd have value to us, but otherwise this ends up probably lateral at forward and problematic for us on defense.

* * *​
    Yeah, um, not a snowball's chance in hell on that one. Again, we have so many LDs Gardiner could very well end up on the bottom pairing, and we can't spare RDs. The value for us in the OP would largely be the possibility that Johnsson could end up better than Jenner; take that out and it becomes Something We Don't Need for Something We Can't Spare. Making us pay for that privilege is downright insulting.

Jackets Fan, Dema and CBJFan827 like this.
  9. Crede777

Crede777 Deputized

CBJ's area of lowest need is an upgrade at LHD.

I wouldn't be necessarily against this trade if Johnsson's game can translate to the NHL but I certainly wouldn't trade just Savard + for Gardiner because it's just not a need at all for the Jackets.

Currently the Jackets have something like 7 LHD who saw action last season:
    Werenski
    Murray
    Nutivaara
    Cole (UFA)
    Johnson (UFA)
    Carlsson
    Kukan

Carter IV and remote like this.
  10. remote

remote Registered User

From our side it doesn't make sense either. We are prob going to be very careful on what salary we carry past next year. A.J is and has been groomed for a while to be able to fill out our wing options. Now that we lost(99.9% sure) JVR we need cheap scoring options from the wings. Ie Johansson and Kapanen. Thats why I personally feel that the Leafs will keep Gards and try to use our 1st and B prospects to land a Myers/Tanev type guy. <1yr left RHD who can play 20-25 mins/night.

Viqsi likes this.
  11. Crede777

Crede777 Deputized

Yeah both teams are trying to drop or keep salary low to ensure they can keep their core.

loyaltotheend and remote like this.
  12. remote

remote Registered User

Do you guys have room for a 1 yr rental too? Also what other teams are we competing with for a RHD?

13. remote

remote Registered User

I assume Tampa/CBJ and Tor are the big ones

14. Crede777

Crede777 Deputized

Have to see after we extend Bobrovsky (UFA), Panarin (UFA), Murray (RFA), Bjorkstrand (RFA), and Jenner (RFA). Bob and Panarin will end up making $15-20 million between the two of them.

As for teams competing for an RHD, I think most teams are looking to add a top-4 RHD since they're much less common than a top-4 LHD. But that doesn't mean the value isn't there.

remote likes this.
  15. thebus88

thebus88 Pray 4 DA CBJ

CBJ need a defensive defenseman much more than they need offensive defenseman at this point.

For that fact alone, Savard has more value to the CBJ than Gardiner does/would.

Savard is not a flashy player, but he is a capable option in nearly ANY role asked of him besides a "high scoring" top line d man.

Jackets Fan likes this.
  16. Notsince67

Notsince67 Registered User

Speed + I don't believe he will cost more then 2.5MM on his contract renewal

17. Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske 안양종합운동장 빙상장

Take out Jenner and Johnsson and add a plus to Savard and I'd listen.
    I like the way Jenner plays but he's way too poor of a skater to play a meaningful role in the Leafs top 9

18. Viqsi

Viqsi chief justice, HFCBJ morality court

Jackets 1st, Preds 2nd
    See above re: not a snowball's chance in hell.

Jackets Fan, mikeyp24 and Fro like this.
  19. Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske 안양종합운동장 빙상장

Fair enough. I'm not sure why you're insulted though. I wouldn't trade Garner 1 for 1 for Savard and I wouldn't trade Johnsson 1 for 1 for Jenner so the deal makes just as little sense of the Leafs in my opinion.

The Man with a Plan likes this.
  20. Fro

Fro Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

I would guess it That proposal was already made and answered

21. stevo61

stevo61 Registered User

Id like Johnsson but dont want Gardiner or to give up Savard. Savard brings an element noone else on the D really does plus wont have to carry around Johnson all year who tried to do way too much to try an earn a big contract but hurt himself and his team. Savard has some underrated skills and would throw his body down in front of anything.

22. mikeyp24

mikeyp24 Registered User

Id rather have Savard then Gardiner. We already have more then enough offensive minded D who are levels above him Id rather focus on what D are there for in the 1st place... defense. And Savard is a much better actual defender.

And then jenner for Johnnson... common. obvious no.

Fro and CBJFan827 like this.
  23. meefer

meefer Registered User

To be honest, I was looking at this potential trade from the perspective of goal differentials. With Columbus having a +10 differential last year, I thought they might be interested in becoming more offensively inclined. I'm not trying to slag Boone Jenner, I like him, but after 5 years, save for the 15/16 season, he has not proved to be an offensively gifted player (his strengths lying elsewhere) and I think Johnsson can effectively match, and possibly exceed, Jenner's offensive contributions. Gardiner obviously exceeds Savard's offensive contributions, while Columbus would have to suffer Jake's brain cramps...with which the Leafs are all to familiar. Conversely, the Leafs would suffer a bit with respect to offensive contributions but would improve defensively, the greatest area of concern they have at this point. The contracts are pretty much a wash, save the extra year Savard is signed when compared to Gardiner, but Johnsson should be a cheaper signing than Jenner.

24. CantLoseWithMatthews

the way I see it, the value for Columbus is also that Gardiner is better than Savard. At worst you could play Gardiner on the right side. I know I am guilty of thinking like this too and I'm not criticizing, but handedness is nowhere near as important as quality of player, and Gardiner is a higher quality player. It would be silly to not expect Columbus not to add from a Leafs perspective, though I can understand if the fit isn't there

25. CantLoseWithMatthews

how exactly is Savard much better defensively? Obviously the offense isn't remotely close, but the defense is. Gardiner also faces tougher competition