UFA Speculation

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by VanJack, May 2, 2018.

1. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

I know the betting is that after signing six UFA's from the NHL bargain-bin last summer, Jimbo will be quiet this year. But I'm not so sure.

I see Eklund is claiming the Canucks have serious interest in JVR. I know it's only Eklund, but does JVR make any sense for VanCity?...and then there's the inevitable Evander Kane speculation. Whatever you might say about him, he's been money in these playoffs and is a 26-year power winger the Canucks desperately lack.

So what are the chances one of the big fish in the UFA actually lands in Vancouver this time around?

2. NoShowWilly

NoShowWilly Registered User

Either evander Kane or van riemsdyk makes sense from an immediate need at left wing. Both will be looking for long term deals at high dollar figures though.

3. GoodBetterBoest

GoodBetterBoest The Golden Alien

Kane over JVR.

The former is 3 years younger.

bcbill likes this.
  4. RebuildinVan

RebuildinVan Registered User

Im not opposed to Kane on a reasonable contract but think he'll get a big offer. I can see Bozak as a stop gap C, which Im already not a fan of

5. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

Darren Dreger saying it's increasingly unlikely Tararas is coming back with the Islanders.....where does he land?....cross-town with the Rangers or does a Western Conference team like the Canucks have a shot?

6. Nuckles

Nuckles Bleed Assets E'ryday

Why would any top UFAs sign here when much better teams with plenty of cap space will also be able to offer them stupid contracts?

I think the best players we might have a chance at signing are guys like Bozak and Maroon assuming we throw top 6 forward money at them for 4+ years.

7. VancouverJagger

VancouverJagger Not trying to fit in

Business Owner
    I don't want to see Tavares and his 14 mill per tag with the Canucks as I am not a huge fan of putting that much money into one player and where does he get us anyhoo? (Not that I think there is much hope of actually luring him here anyhoo).
    Just outside of being a playoff team most likely - I would prefer to have another year or 2 of misery (and hopefully good draft picks) THEN get some players like him. Ideally we would use our cap atm to take on some poor contracts in exchange for other assetts. (Just not anything as onerous as Seabrook).

Katani Kalan likes this.
  8. StrictlyCommercial

StrictlyCommercial Registered User

No long-term contracts unless it's like Carlson or Tavarres. We need a legitimate top 6 C. Tavarres, Thornton and Stastny are really the only ones in UFA. No one is going to perform to standard with Sutter centering them, so if we can't get an actual 2nd line C, adding UFA LW's is useless.

Should target Calvin de Haan for D depth to bump Pouliot/Biega out of the top 8.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
    Goldobin?-Thornton/Stastny?-Pettersson
    Eriksson-Sutter-Gagner
    Leipsic-Gaunce-Virtanen
    Dowd

Edler-Tanev
    Del Zotto-Stecher
    De Haan-Gudbransson
    Hutton-Pouliot

Demko
    Markstrom

9. Brock Boeser Laser Show

Brock Boeser Laser Show Registered User

Tavares isn't coming here. John Carlson has no reason to sign here. Even when this team was elite it would be difficult to attract those guys out west. Not going to fill the 1C or 1D holes outside of those two guys and the rest of the big name free agents have no reason to sign here outside of an extreme overpay.

Canucks should weaponize the cap space to add draft picks for 2018, 2019, and 2020. This team is 3-5 years from being any good so any player you sign to a long term contract will likely be an anchor when this team is finally half decent again.

LickTheEnvelope likes this.
  10. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope 7th Overall is my jam

I agree with most here that it doesn't make much sense to go after the big names this year. Obviously make the offer to Tavares and maybe Carlsson. Maybe Kane if you can get him at reasonable.

11. Lucbourdon

Lucbourdon Kefka cheers for Van Sponsor

I would absolutely be okay with a long term deal for Kane, if the price is reasonable.
    Power forward, can hit, shoot, and has good hockey sense to play on either or top 2 lines with EP.

I actually think Bo + kane + a playmaker would work extremely well.

Hindustan Smyl likes this.
  12. Consistencee

Consistencee Registered User

Agree 100 percent. I have a sinking feeling we're gonna run at Bozak and probably get him by overpaying on money and term that other better teams wouldn't offer.

13. cookiefest

cookiefest nothing matters anyway.

No big ticket free agents are going to sign here anyway which is good because the Canucks shouldn’t be signing them, just because the cap is going up and you have a ton of space to begin with doesn't mean you should just waste it all on overpriced free agents.

The rumour that they were interested in Backlund before th flames signed him though was a scary tell, they can’t help themselves, and could end up signing Bozak or someone similar to a stupid contract.

Any free agents we sign should extremely cheap and on short deals, even then I’m not sure I’m up for another sunmer of signing dud free agents who the coach will end up overplaying unless you can get a tangible trade return at the deadline.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  14. cookiefest

cookiefest nothing matters anyway.

Tavares wouldn’t even come on a plane to check out Vancouver let alone sign there, would be my guess, he’s 27 and wants to win a cup.

15. rypper

rypper EhlersHorvatTkachuk

If we sign anyone i have to believe they target a center, someone to play with Pettersson. Any center willing to come here though is going to be a second rate free agent.

One on the verge of being too old or getting a prove it contract etc. Kind of like how Vanek wasn't signed until late.

I just hope they don't throw too much money or term at someone like Bozak.

Canadian Canuck likes this.
  16. Mudshark50

Mudshark50 Registered User

Cross town to the Rangers? Rebuild city...

Which contender has the dough for Tavares?

17. dbaz

dbaz Registered User

baer?-bo-boes
    Goldobin?-?-pettersson
    Eriksson-sutter-gagner
    Leipsic-gaunce-virtanen
    Granlund?

Tanev?-edler
    DelzDelz?-gudbra
    Hutton?-stetcher
    Pouliot?
    Biega

I think Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi all start in the AHL for playin time.
    Canucks need a 2c for 1 or 2 years until a prospect is ready to take over. They need to upgrade lw or have baer/goldobin break out. The d needs a major makeover.
    Granlund, Baer, Goldobin, Tanev, Delz, Hutton, Pouliot are all player who could/should be traded.
    So Bozak, and DeHaan make sense.

Canadian Canuck likes this.
  18. The Extrapolater

The Extrapolater Registered User

Home Page:
    Taveras entering free agency would be league-altering. If the Canucks had a GM who understood how to weaponize cap space, the draft would be the perfect opportunity to pick an extra lottery pick plus for taking on a cap dump from a playoff team or near-playoff team that'll want to chase after Taveras in free agency.

But as I've said over the past couple seasons, the Canucks shouldn't be targeting big-name free agents. Short-term, low cap hits, and also dig through the bargain bin for overlooked gems. There's no sense in bothering with free agency for anything else.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  19. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    John Tavares is the only big name UFA who I would go after. Other than him I would only want players on cheap ($2.5M or less) 1-year contracts that can be flipped at the deadline for draft picks. I mean, we know that will never happen under this regime, but that's what the strategy SHOULD be.

Also, Tavares would not come here. After spending his whole career in an perennial rebuild, why would he leave a team that's starting an upswing just to play in the basement again? I could see San Jose going all in on him. Vegas certainly has the cap space. Montreal, Calgary, Columbus, and Florida would all be more attractive options for Tavares than Vancouver.

20. Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin Registered User

Home Page:
    I fully expect Tyler Bozak to become a Canuck this summer. To be honest, as long as it's no longer than 2 years, I'd be ok with it. But most likely he'll be seeking a longer term deal and I could see him getting that here.

21. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    Taking a look at the actual UFA list for centers the only guy that could maybe fit the bill is Derek Ryan, smallish career European/minor leaguer who played for Carolina the past two seasons and put up 29 and 38 poinst. At 31 he's not about to break down, and he's probably the only guy that you could get as a 1 year stop gap center that you could get for under $2.5M. The rest of the guys in that range are either older with better careers but no longer as productive, or grinders.

Literally likes this.
  22. Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Registered User

I am still waiting for one person to give me a reason why John Tavares would ever sign a contract with Vancouver. The only way this ever happens is if he is purely motivated by money and the Canucks offer him a max deal that no one else will. I don't see either being plausible.

He's an East Coast guy, has no connections to Vancouver, Vancouver is one of the worst teams in the league, Vancouver has one of the worst Travel schedules, they have Jim Benning and Trevor Linden.....the list goes on.

Just can't see why it is worth discussing.

23. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    In terms of being realistic, I’d offer Mike Green and one of Tyler Bozak or Paul Stastny a huge short term offer (2-year deal with big cap hit). That way - it helps the team with immediate needs while not preventing us from re-upping our upcoming RFA’s in a few years.

The presence of Bozak/Stastny would prevent us from rushing Pettersson and Gaudette, while Green would give us some more depth on the right side to take pressure off of Tanev, while giving us another PMD. The presence of Green would also allow us to take our time in developing one of Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist should we draft a D.

Signing Evander Kane would be nice, but I think he loves San Jose too much. Tavares and Carson won’t come here.

I would also avoid JVR as JVR would be looking at a long term expensive deal. I don’t think JVR is worth ea long term deal from our end.

Canucks1096 likes this.
  24. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    By the way, if I was Tavares, I’d likely go to San Jose to fill the shoes of Joe Thornton. Tavares and Kane become the new Thornton and Marleau.

25. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    I’d love for this to happen as well, but I honestly can’t see Kane leaving San Jose at this point.