UFA Speculation

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by VanJack, May 2, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. F A N

F A N Registered User

Did you read Shanahan's comment that I quoted? He said it didn't matter who the coach was, he would have wanted his input. So it could have been "a brand new coach in the nhl who has to build his reputation" and Shanahan would still want his input.

The plan was never to tank so why wouldn't you want your head coach to tell you what the team needs to win?

2. travis scott

travis scott Registered User

Rather get Roussell, Maroon, or Reaves

HelloCookie likes this.
  3. Tobi Wan Kenobi

Tobi Wan Kenobi Registered User

I don't think it's outlandish as you think:

- Gagner his childhood best friend
    - Del Zotto his friend and jr teamate
    - Most money(his last contract was very undervalued so money will be a big factor)
    - Boeser, Pettersson and a great young forward nucleous
    - Canadian Market
    - Nice city

JuniorNelson likes this.
  4. Jyrki21

Jyrki21 Todellakaan ole suomalaista Sponsor

Home Page:
    Prediction: Jack Johnson, 4 years, $5.5M.

This is treated as a fine deal by certain posters because 4 years "isn't long-term" and $5.5M is less than the $6M they were expecting.

geebaan likes this.
  5. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Just curious why Gagner and Del Zotto didn’t sign with NYI last summer then if they all want to play together so badly. Seems odd that Tavares, the superstar of the bunch, would base his decision on playing with Gagner and MDZ but neither of them based their decision on playing with Tavares. And surely if it was important to Tavares the Islanders would have signed those two scrubs to ensure Tavares stayed with them, no?

It’s weird that people think an off-ice friendship has any bearing on a decision as massive as the one facing Tavares.

Also I don’t think Vancouver’s “nice young forward nucleus” - which consists of a 50 pt centre, a guy who has never played in the NHL, and the ROY runner-up to the guy he already plays with in Brooklyn - will actually sway anyone to sign here. If anything it’s a big NEGATIVE because there are no big names or established scorers here for Tavares to play with.

Pavel96 and MS like this.
  6. THE Green Man

THE Green Man Registered User

Do you have sources or links on this? If true, so much less credit is given to Benning for the one exceptional trade he's made in his tenure.

7. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope 7th Overall is my jam

Fair enough. Still not close to a contender but hey it would by fun to watch Johnny T out there with Boeser.

8. theoriginalBCF

theoriginalBCF Registered User

The original Eklund quote was talking present not future. It insinuated that Vancouver was actively, at this moment, courting John Tavares.

9. krutovsdonut

krutovsdonut holy makarov!

no it didn't.

here is the link that was posted in this thread which you answered.

"Citing a source, Eklund at HockeyBuzz.com is reporting that the perennial All-Star “has planned to visit with Vancouver during his five day window leading up to July 1.”

Vancouver Canucks rumours: John Tavares to meet with team

and here is the original eklund story

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...e3--Are-the-Pens-Interested-in-Voynov/1/93301

"Was just told by a source that Tavares has planned to visit with Vancouver during his five day window leading up to July 1"

10. Tobi Wan Kenobi

Tobi Wan Kenobi Registered User

Boeser isn’t some no namer... people in the league know this guy is a stud has a generational shot. Agents and scouts know how good Pettersson is as well. I’m not saying we’re at the top of his list but when you can offer him the most money and a Canadian City with elite level young forwards it defintely gets your attention and having his two boyhood friends wouldn’t hurt. Maybe because we offered the most money... like we can do with Tavares. Lighten up lol. No wonder other fans call us emo. Is it fun thinking this way all the time? Jogging and eating well helps

11. Pavel96

Pavel96 Registered User

I thought this was ludicrous, but :

NHL free agent rumors: Jack Johnson could receive $6M per year, interest from Canadiens

6 M looks like it will be a bargain for his 11 points at age 31? Yikes well at least he's under 32 so he's still good for a cup run? This seems like a perfect fit with vancouver somehow. I am thinking Benning will try for 3 yrs at 6 M and then pat himself on the back for a shorter term. Gotta keep rebuilding that d?

12. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Boeser is an impressive rookie - just like Barzal who Tavares plays with already - but he has no track record. He’s never hit 35, 40, 45 goals. Now maybe he will and I think he will, but to John Tavares today how assuring is that? A guy who *might* be a top 25 scorer?

Exact same goes for Pettersson. Tavares is going to look for the team that gives him a great chance to win a cup in the next few years. A 19 year old kid who was great in Sweden but has never played a game in the NHL isn’t likely to move the needle for a guy in Tavares position.

And I don’t know what you’re talking about “lighten up” for. This is just the likely reality of the situation. You’re viewing things as a hopeful Canuck fan who is trying to turn everything into a positive but that’s not how Tavares is going to look at it. He’s going to see a team that has finished bottom 6 for the last 3 years, has just lost the Sedins, has no notable players on the roster other than *maybe* a 21 year old rookie. They play on the West Coast, have terrible travel, and has absolutely no connection with the team, coach, or GM other than a couple of friends who have 1 and 2 years left on their UFA contracts and who can come join him on whatever team he signs with.

If you are just posting the most optimistic, sunshine and rainbows scenario possible then my apologies for raining on your parade. But I live in the real world and none of the things you listed other than possibly throwing the most money at him actually sounds appealing.

Also I eat *very* well though I hate jogging. Swimming and hockey are more my thing.

Pavel96 likes this.
  13. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    Speaking of Tavares and a good 'nucleus' in place, I think St. Louis is a good underdog landing spot for him. Low key market with the cap space and permission to spend, a pair of star players to play with in Tarasenko and Pietrangelo, and a pretty good supporting cast in Steen, Schwartz, Schenn, Fabbri, Parayko, Bouwmeester. It would be tight and he may have to take a little less than elsewhere, but St. Louis could instantly jump to contention with the addition of an all-star center.

CanaFan likes this.
  14. JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson Registered User

If NYI figured they couldn't sign Tavares, they'd trade his rights, right?

If Oilers are forced to move Lucic I bet Benning makes an offer.

If there are better coaches available, how loyal will Canucks be?

15. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    I'd say yes. Considering they didn't trade him and resigning him is their top priority, they should have negotiations on complete lock down. Unlike say Erik Karlsson where the Sens want to trade him and will let teams talk to his agent because they'd get a lot more value if he'll agree to an extension.

So the Isles can't sign him, no other teams will know what his plans are. For a prize that big someone's going to take the chance and offer a pick for his rights to get a jump on negotiations.

16. PorscheDesign

PorscheDesign Registered User

NYI won't know until free agency period, the stance that Tavares is going to take is look at all his options and choose what is best. Stamkos did the exact same thing.

17. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

Canucks and Aquilini wouldn't be doing their due diligence if they didn't at least inquire about Tavares, particularly if he sails past the July 1st deadline unsigned. And you know if he and his agent were even remotely serious about VanCity, the Aquaman would write out a blank check and ask Tavares and his representative to fill in the numbers.

But for tax purposes alone, not to mention how long the Canucks are likely to be in the NHL wilderness, just can't see any scenario where he'd sign here....even if he's best buds with Del Zotto and Gagner, who are likely to be gone from Canucks anyway well before their contracts are up.

18. cookiefest

cookiefest nothing matters anyway.

Gotta save some money for the upcoming Ryan Reaves sweepstakes.

Jyrki21 likes this.
  19. PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin Registered User

JJ only making 1.5 mill more than Gudbranson. That seems out of whack salary structure wise.

20. rypper

rypper EhlersHorvatTkachuk

As far as we know Green wasn't given the same mandate as Babcock. He doesn't have the same insurances that Babcock does.

What are we as a team now? Rebuilding? Retooling? Going for it?

We're a team with a lot of young players with a coach who wants to win. A coach who'll defer to veteran players in an effort to win.

Green is trying to build an NHL coaching resume. He doesn't have the history that Babcock does.

Are the GM and coach on the same page? Are the young players going to be given a shot?

21. Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas woo eggenberger

Home Page:
    I don't see how Jack Johnson is worth a dime less than Louie Eriksson personally. If I know Jimbo he's not letting this one get away to Montreal without a fight (and a bidding war).

22. Catbug

Catbug Registered User

Stop. Posting. Quantity. Junk. For. Quality. Proposals.

Would you like to trade Boeser for Lucic, Kassian, Sekera, Strome, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder?

Thats literally a list of everything you wouldn’t miss from our roster FFS.

MisfortuneCookie likes this.
  23. EpochLink

EpochLink Canucks and Jets fan

Has there ever been a fall from grace than Jack Johnson? I thought 12 years ago this guy was going to be a stud in the league, turns out he became another Luke Schenn.

24. MS

MS 1%er

When Travis Green wins multiple Stanley Cups and is considered the best coach in the game, maybe you give him more roster input. And in any case, is pushing for crap signings like Parenteau and Hunwick really a good argument in your favour?

This team should be doing things patiently. No shortcuts, as they've said repeatedly. Maximum focus on player development and a quality young roster. The Toronto model is spot on. So is Winnipeg's.

Instead we have our moron GM babbling about quick fixes and more 26-32 y/o players and aggressively shopping a #7 overall pick to try and get to the playoffs now, because saving their own pathetic hides is more important to them than what's best for the franchise.

And on top of that, you have them looking to involve their young, unproven coach who is desperate to get to the playoffs to make a name for himself, and has been allergic to playing rookies and player development at every level. What do you think he'll be pushing for?

It's just a joke. Nobody in the organization has the confidence, intelligence, patience, or integrity to do things the right way.

This offseason is setting up to be a complete disaster.

Canadian Club and Wilch like this.
  25. Brock Boeser Laser Show

Brock Boeser Laser Show Registered User

I expect Benning will overpay for "character" and "grit" despite the fact that is the least of our problems right now (offensive/transition defenseman and Center depth being the massive issues right now). I'm rather nervous that the canucks will be the team that gives Reeves a nice pay day.

Only thing the canucks should be doing in free agency is finding a short term middle 6 center. I'd love John Carlsson or Tavares but that's simply not realistic. Maybe kick the tires on the left overs from July 1st madness.