What do you want done with our 7th pick?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Jack Burton, Jun 12, 2018.

?

What do you want done with our 7th pick?

Poll closed Jun 19, 2018.
  1. Keep it.

87.9%
  2. trade it for Hanifin.

2.4%
  3. trade it down and pick up another asset.

9.1%
  4. trade it + additional assets to move up in the draft.

0.6%
View Users: View Users
  1. Cancuks

Cancuks Dimwit

General Manager and El Presidente
    Trade down, I'd like to draft Veleno+Berggren/Bokk. Maybe with the Flyers. 7th for 14+19+Jori Lehtera?

2. DFAC

DFAC Registered User

Pass.... and this is coming from someone who likes Veleno.

This is the year to pick up a stud dman prospect. We need one of Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist. Benning has been talking about how we need a PPQB for years now and this year is our best shot at getting one through the draft

Canadian Canuck likes this.
  3. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Be gentle

Keep the pick. Draft BPA. Enough already.

4. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    I'm not a troll.

Look - all I said was that there's no way Carolina will offer Hanifin for *just* the 7th overall. They will want 7OA+??? If that's the case, then the Canucks should take a hard pass, and the Canucks should just make the pick (which is what they will likely do anyways). The only way I give up 7OA+ (without giving up one of Horvat, Boeser, or Pettersson) is for Erik Karlsson..........and the Sens *might* (might being the key word here) agree to that since they risk losing Karlsson for absolutely NOTHING in a few years.

Now having said all that - IF Carolina's GM started smoking crack over these next few weeks and offered Hanifin for only the 7thOA, I accept that deal.

As much as I'd love to have Hughes, I think he'll be long gone by the time Benning steps up to the podium. Detroit loves Hughes CRAZILY.......and so if Hughes isn't drafted in the Top 5, I think Detroit will take him. As much as I love Boqvist/Dobson/Bouchard, they all have some question marks. Could they be great NHL defensemen? Of course. Is it a lock? Far from it.

At the age of 21, Hanifin is already a solid 2nd pairing #3 calibre defenseman that has an excellent transition game and and an advanced ability to gain the blue-line. He has good size and is a great skater. The weaknesses in his game can easily be worked on.

For *only* 7OA (which Carolina WILL NOT accept) , I easily bring in Hanifin.

5. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope 7th Overall is my jam

Dobson, Boqvist or Bouchard etc

6. travis scott

travis scott Registered User

Keep it unless Dobson is gone.

In that case, try to trade down to 9 or 10.

7. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

His weaknesses are that he’s only average in his own zone and not very good in the offensive zone outside of plays on the rush.

Those are not “easily worked on”. They might be fixable to some degree but you can’t just dismiss them entirely. He was a 5th pick that has developed below expectation. Not way below but people thought they were drafting a future #1 D at the 2015 draft and he is not on track to become that. I don’t agree that trading the #7 pick is a definite trade you make if available. It’s not a bad deal but there is a case for saying no and rolling the dice on Hughes or Dobson instead. Dobson in particular looks potentially equally good in transition and better in his own zone. They may both be only ok offensively.

8. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    Fair enough.

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t think Hanifin will be the next Drew Doughty, but he’ll still be a pretty damn good defenseman in my opinion. Christian Erhoff 2011 calibre (and yes - I know they are stylistically different).

Hughes won’t be available at the number 7 spot in my opinion. Detroit absolutely loves Hughes.

That leaves Dobson. I’m also a huge fan of Dobson and out of all of the likely choices available at number 7, he’s the guy I’d choose. Having said that, I don’t think Dobson will be any better or worse than Hanifin. I also see Dobson being a “good” 2nd pairing #3 calibre defenseman. Maybe I’m wrong? Who knows.

If I’m right however, then the only question that remains, is if we want our #3 calibre defenseman right now, or 1-2 years from now? Seems like an easy answer to me.

But again - the whole premise of this poll is utterly stupid because Carolina won’t trade Hanifin for just a 7th.

Therefore - I would do what you do, and would draft Dobson with the #7.

9. Melvin

Melvin Abaddon Sponsor

Data Nerd
    I would probably advocate for trading down if I had any confidence in our front office to make a sensible trade.

10. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Fair, though IF it were available I don’t think we should take it. We are at the stage where we need upside more than surety. Dobson may be unproven but his ceiling is also less defined than Hanifin. I think it makes more sense for us to roll the dice on a potential 1/2 than settle on a more probably 3/4. We could end up losing that but we need to take the risk IMO.

11. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    I can agree with that.......although I think Benning might want to go with Boqvist if he’s truly prioritizing upside.

I guess for me, it’s the certainty that is most attractive for me (which is why I like Dobson. Ore than Bouchard and Boqvist). In the case of Dobson though, I can’t see him being a top pairing guy. But again - I’m not an expert obviously and so maybe I’m wrong. He just looks like a #3 guy to me........just like Hanifin.

12. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

I agree that Dobson today is not as good a prospect as Hanifin was in 2015. But I don’t think Hanifin has lived up to the potential that was expected of him. Provorov (7) and Werenski (8) have both developed much better than Hanifin and that’s what I think we should be putting our money on. That we can find and develop a 17 year old with similar potential to Hanifin but who actually comes closer to reaching that potential. Hanifin is a good defenseman but I think his less-than-stellar development needs to be considered when thinking about this trade. On potential he should be a top pair D, but he hasn’t reached that while others his age have. That’s my concern.

Hindustan Smyl likes this.
  13. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

I see there are already predictions out there that the Habs will throw the top side of the draft into a turmoil by trading back and drafting a center. That creates the possibility that the d-men the Canucks want at #7 are gone. Then what?

Well the precedent was the draft of 2016, where the Canucks were so sure Pierre Luc Dubois would be on the board at #5 they probably already has his name on a sweater. So hopefully this time they're prepared.....and a trade wouldn't be and shouldn't be out of the question.

14. Bobby Digital

Bobby Digital Registered User

Yeah I wouldn't give up the 7th for Hanifin.

If he's available I wouldnt mind offering package around a few of:

Virtanen
    Dahlen
    DiPietro
    Baretschi
    Gadovich
    2018 2nd
    2019 2nd

CanaFan likes this.
  15. Steven Rush

Steven Rush Registered User

Trading it for Ristolainen if available would be my preference.

If not, field offers up until pick selection time. If you prefer the existing offer from another team. take it.

If you prefer the player take the player.

I really want Ristolainen lol.

Canucker likes this.
  16. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    I don’t like the idea of giving up Virtanen or Dahlen for Hanifin. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m still quite bullish on Virtanen. I don’t know what the advanced stats said about Jake last year, but he sold on me on the eye test. I see JV taking a nice leap this year. I think Dahlen and Pettersson could be Hank and Dan version 2.0, even if Pettersson doesn’t play C. These guys have good chemistry.

For me - the only guy I give up 7th+ for (which would include the options from your list + Gaudette + 2019 1st) is Erik Karlsson. I would even be willing to give up my father’s manhood for Karlsson, just as long as we didn’t have to part ways with any of Boeser, Pettersson, or Horvat. The *only* reason why the Sens *might* agree to that, is because the Sens risk losing Karlsson for Scott-free in a few years (by contrast, a hypothetical trade for P.K. Subban would automatically cost us 7th + one of Boeser or Pettersson as a starting point since P.K. is signed long term).

17. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    Risto would be nice, but I’m not sure the Sabres give him up. I think they’ll want Risto and Rasmus to play with one another.

If we’re talking Risto, then Tanev will likely have to go the other way (something that I do NOT mind by the way). The only question is what would the Sens want on top of that?

18. Bobby Digital

Bobby Digital Registered User

How does trading the 7th pick + for Karlsson make any sense for us? Thats the most Benning move ever lol

19. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    One vision that I had was the Canucks making a strong move for Karlsson before July 1st. 7thOA + #### for Karlsson. With Karlsson in Vancouver, you then go HARD after Tavares. With Karlsson here, I think Tavares would strongly consider us provided that we outbid other teams.

My whole point is that if Benning is willing to offer 7OA + for anyone, don’t do it for a #3 2nd pairing guy in Hanifin......do it for a guy like Karlsson where the Sens *might* accept a solid proposal that doesn’t include Horvat, Boeser, or Pettersson (due to the fact that Karlsson will be a UFA in a short time and so Ottawa has to be careful that they don’t lose Karlsson for nothing).

Realistic plan? Absolutely not. Something I’d try and do? Absolutely. No guts no glory.

2018 1st + 2019 1st + Tanev + Gaudette + Virtanen for Karlsson and Ryan.

Sign Tavares @ 7 years 91 million (13 million AAV).

Karlsson, Tavares, Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi, and Demko are now your core.

Everyone else can be traded for a 2nd rounder if/when the Canucks get into a cap crunch. The emphasis under this plan would be to get as many low cost effective players that can support the core (via PTO’s, and via good drafting with 2nd round picks.....the Kole Lind’s of the world).

20. Brock Boeser Laser Show

Brock Boeser Laser Show Registered User

Most Benning type scenario

1.)Trades 7th overall plus young assets for Karlsson
    2.)Karlsson drags this team to no mans land (9th or 10th in west)
    3.)Karlsson leaves in free agency/refuses to sign extension.
    4.)Canucks end up picking 15th overall in front of the home crowd minus Karlsson and whatever they gave up for him.
    2018 and 2019 drafts end up being total write offs in the "rebuild" and we ruin the primes of Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, etc.

I would say the next 2-3 years will define this rebuild. Any moves made in an effort to short cut things will result in a decade long age of misery. The canucks need a Top 5 pick next year(and likely the following year as well) to have any hope of contending in the near future.

pomorick and Bobby Digital like this.
  21. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    IF (and obviously, this is a huge hypothetical IF) the Canucks were to trade for Karlsson without giving up Boeser, Horvat, or Pettersson, and were to sign Tavares,..........all of that, combined with the inevitable emergence of Pettersson, you don't think the Canucks would be able to field a competitive team?

22. Brock Boeser Laser Show

Brock Boeser Laser Show Registered User

Canucks aren't 2 pieces away. The canucks are at least 5 or 6 pieces away and there isn't any quick fixes to this thing.

Had the canucks started the rebuild back in 2014 and made better use of 1st round picks in 2014 and 2016 we might be having a different discussion. Right now there is simply too many question marks/holes to reasonably expect Tavares and Karlsson to be the final pieces. Adding those two would create a disjointed core where you have two different sets of primes that would result in a long run of mediocrity. There has to be a clear vision and that vision has to be around winning with Bo, Elias, Brock, etc in 5 years and not around some mercenaries you bring in during a rebuild.

23. RebuildinVan

RebuildinVan Registered User

My ideal scenario....all of Dobson,Bouchard and Walstrom available at 7. Rangers are high enough on 1 to offer #9 plus one of their other 1sts for #7. We get the extra 1st and draft a guy we liked anyway.

24. Zombotron

Zombotron Thanks Big Homies

It'd be completely bonkers if 1 through 6 went something like Dahlin / Svechnikov / Kotkaniemi / Zadina / Tkachuk / Hughes, allowing that scenario to happen. What's more likely is that Montreal will ruin it for us by taking Dobson at 3rd, and Detroit compounding the situation by taking Bouchard at 6th

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  25. drax0s

drax0s Registered User

Keep it unless Brackett has an eye on a player later on that we can trade down for to get extra picks.