What do you want done with our 7th pick?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Jack Burton, Jun 12, 2018.

?

What do you want done with our 7th pick?

Poll closed Jun 19, 2018.
  1. Keep it.

87.9%
  2. trade it for Hanifin.

2.4%
  3. trade it down and pick up another asset.

9.1%
  4. trade it + additional assets to move up in the draft.

0.6%
View Users: View Users
  1. Canucks1096

Canucks1096 Registered User

At number 7 Hughes will be gone.

Most likely two out of these three D would be available, Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist and also Wahlstrom. I would draft Wahlstrom. He can be first line winger and scouts said he has the best shot in the draft. Those 3 D I don't see number 1/2 D upside. Dobson he is not a high point producer? Doesn't have elite skill. Boqvist has elite skill but not great defensively and small. Bouchard has skating issues. His 87 points is kind of mislead. Some nights he plays around 30 mins a game. Also this is his 3rd ohl season. He almost a year older than a lot other prospects. They need to go with bpa and that will be Wahlstrom. First line winger is better than a 3/4 D

2. Old school nuckles

Old school nuckles Registered User

Why do you keep on saying the Sens risk losing Karlsson for scott free in a few years when there is one guaranteed year left on his contract which makes a huge difference when trading for a player.

3. jeromemorrow

jeromemorrow Registered User

Law & Business
    Keep it and draft either Boqvist or Dobson.

4. RebuildinVan

RebuildinVan Registered User

The draft starts at #3, what Montreal does changes the top 10

Hindustan Smyl likes this.
  5. Katani Kalan

Katani Kalan Registered User

After the big three I'd be happy with Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom and Boqvist in that order. The one that I want to avoid is Bouchard just a feeling. Only other option I could live with is Kotkaniemi.

6. Nucker101

Nucker101 Sharks Bandwagon

Draft 1 of Hughes/Dobson/Kotkaniemi/Tkachuk or trade down and draft 2 of:

Kravstov
    Berggren
    Farabee
    Miller
    Smith

I can live with Tkachuk, not high on Wahlstrom/Boqvist/Bouchard

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  7. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Be gentle

I just can't ignore Bouchard's points, especially for a big guy. Hughes I think will be (rightly or wrongly) discounted by our scouts simply because of his size, and Boqvist's concussion history spooks me.

Bouchard or Dobson for me. We're so totally bereft of dmen, we just can't pass up either of those guys. IMHO it's drafting both BPA and for positional need.

And seriously, why the bloody hell wouldn't anyone wave goodbye to Virtanen in a (fantasy) deal for Karlsson? Virtanen's about to enter his draft +4 season, and he hasn't even demonstrated he can consistently be an average NHL player, much less a good one.

8. IAMGROOT

IAMGROOT Registered User

I really hope they take kotkaniemi and that someone else takes Tkatchuk or Wahlstrom. That guarantee us one of Hughes/Dobson.

9. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

Yes, looking more and more like Dobson and Hughes won't be around by #7. So it's probably coming down to Bouchard, Walstrom or Boqvist. Walstrom probably has the highest ceiling, although that pick would do nothing to address the dismal blueline. Canucks could probably trade back and still get one of those three guys.

10. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    Prediction:

The Canucks won’t draft Noah Dobson. He will be gone no matter what Montreal does.

it will come down to Boqvist, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom and Bouchard for the Canucks.

1) Dahlin
    2) Svechnikov
    3) Kotkaniemi (if Kotkaniemi doesn’t go at #3, then Zadina will).
    4) Zadina
    5) Hughes
    6) Dobson
    7) Tkachuk/ Bouchard / Boqvist / Wahlstrom

11. Canucks1096

Canucks1096 Registered User

I think Dahlin Svechnikov Zadina Hughes Tkachuk will be gone.

So four out of Kotkaniemi Dobson Wahlstrom Boqvist Bouchard will be available.

Many scouts and fans think we should draft a D. Yes D is a big weakness we have. However people seem to forgot this is one of the lowest scoring team in the league the last 3 years. Scoring is also a major weakness as well. This year Canucks had both Boeser and Horvat. Both Sedins with 50 plus points and Vanek on a 50 to 60 point pace up to the deadline and still finished almost last in scoring. Going forward Canucks need to replace the Sedins and also find more goals. Don't think the current young forwards group is good enough for that. They need to add.

Wahlstrom is a Potential 35 to 40 goal scorer. A lot scouts think he has a best shot in the draft. If Wahlstrom is available at 7. Canucks need to take him.

This season there were only sixteen 35 plus goal scorers. Lot more top 4 D than 35 goal scorers which means 35 goal scorers are harder to get. Canucks should focus getting a D in the second round.

12. bossram

bossram Registered User

Pick Hughes or Wahlstrom. If they're both gone, hit the phones hard for a trade-down and pick up extra picks.

I don't really rate Dobson or Bouchard that highly. I think they're solid prospects, but I don't see that star potential. For that reason, I'm pretty agnostic on selecting them.

13. Ronning On Empty

Ronning On Empty Formerly BleachClean

There have been stars that have scored less than Bouchard on weaker OHL teams. How are you evaluating him? Even Dobson is above a PPG...

14. VancouverJagger

VancouverJagger Not trying to fit in

Business Owner
    Bit of a wild card there for sure. I've heard from somewhat reliable sources that they like Kotkaniemi or Hayton - So not sure how inclined they would be to trade down or go ahead and bite the bullet and take Kotkaniemi in that position.

15. Cancuks

Cancuks Dimwit

General Manager and El Presidente
    Maybe Bergevin is trying to gauge interest in Kotkaniemi and really has no interest and wants Tkachuk instead. I can see Benning buying the hype and ponying up the #7+#37+Tryamkin's rights for "Kockaneemee" only to see Ottawa take Zadina, Arizona and Detroit grab a dman, then the Habs swoop in and take their man Tkachuk.

16. VancouverJagger

VancouverJagger Not trying to fit in

Business Owner
  17. bossram

bossram Registered User

A lot of the scouting reports I've read just don't see that "dynamic" element to either of those guys. I recognise they have the production, but that is partly a function of (lots of) opportunity. Bouchard's skating and even-strength defense gives me pause, and Dobson doesn't quite look like a natural offensive contributor.

I wouldn't be super upset picking them, and I think they're worthy top-10 picks, but I just would have a few other guys ahead.

18. Oignon Saute

Oignon Saute Registered User

I have the top 10:

3. Zadina
    4. Wahlstrom
    5. Kotkaniemi
    6. Dobson
    7. Smith
    8. Hughes
    9. Boqvist
    10. Tkachuk

Take BPA at 7. If my top 6 is gone by 7 then try and trade down to 9 or 10 and grab Smith there. If anyone else falls then still take a listen (I really like some guys slotted to go late in the 1st round) but the price would be a lot higher. If Tkachuk, Hughes and Bouchard are all taken top 6 then I am definitely trying to trade down to 9 as well.

tyhee likes this.
  19. F A N

F A N Registered User

I personally don't place too much value on whether a Dman is "dynamic" unless it's all else being equal. I am not convinced that in today's game, that is a requirement to win the Cup like it was in the 90s. I place greater importance on a Dman's ability to transition the puck and defend. For this reason, I am scared of drafting Hughes. The scouting reports I have read seems to say don't worry that he sucks at defending because he'll have the puck all the time.

20. bossram

bossram Registered User

I don't think this is true, as I've read reports (and seen video) where he uses his immense skating to close gaps and get stick on puck. The "bad at defending" part comes in pure battles, where obviously he is smaller/weaker. At any rate, I view the bolded as somewhat of a good thing. Having the puck all the time IS good.

Hughes is probably the best non-Dahlin defenseman in transition in the draft too. He can make accurate long passes, good decisions on short passes, or obviously just wheel it out on his own.

21. Jack Burton

Jack Burton Pro Tank Since 13

Just my opinion but I think Boqvist is the best offensive Dman available in the draft.

His only problem is that he's a hot mess in his own zone.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  22. Katani Kalan

Katani Kalan Registered User

Have a feeling were getting Tkachuk with the first six being:
    Dahlin
    Svech
    Kotka
    Zadina
    Dobson
    Hughes

23. bossram

bossram Registered User

I mean, I think Boqvist has the tools to be. But the production isn't there and as you identified, he is atrocious defensively.

I think the bust factor is too high. The risk-reward calculus is likely better with other players at pick 7.

VancouverJagger likes this.
  24. StreetHawk

StreetHawk Registered User

Ottawa is the biggest threat to take Dobson imo.

I see the top 2 set in stone.
    Montreal takes the Finnish C.
    Ottawa can go multiple directions.
    Arizona, I have not heard who has the best analytics numbers of the draftees. I see tkachuk for name as a fit here.
    Detroit, I see them going Hughes, then zadina if he is there or wahlstrom in that order.

I personally like Dobson. Boqvist is the HR swing or strikeout king. Given the lack of D I don’t see Vancouver going this way. So, I see them with Bouchard if Dobson is gone. But I do like wahlstrom.

25. Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck Lose for Hughes #2

Friday can’t come soon enough.