Who Are You Drafting

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Nick1219, May 26, 2018.

?

Who you picking?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2018.
  1. Hughes

35.6%
  2. Wahlstrom

10.6%
  3. Tkachuk

4.8%
  4. Dobson

26.0%
  5. Boqvist

6.7%
  6. Bouchard

9.6%
  7. Kotkaniemi

6.3%
  8. Other

0.5%
View Users: View Users
  1. Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz Registered User

Within that group of 9 players,I wouldn't be unhappy with any one of them (Tkachuk and Boqvist included)...Whoever we pick is going to be at least a year away from possibly making the team (the top 3 in the draft should be NHL ready this season).

2. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

A really nice breakdown of Dobson and Bouchard in theAthletic today for anyone who has a subscription. It's paywalled so I can't share but hopefully this small snippet is allowed.

Brown: A data-driven comparison of Evan Bouchard and Noah...

3. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    I definitely love Boqvist’s upside but just feel there’s too much of a risk there. If you’re a GM however and you have a “no guts no glory” mindset, then he’s definitely your guy.

On the flip side for me is Dobson. I think Dobson is pretty much a lock to be a 2nd pairing defenseman (whether he’s a #3 or #4 calibre guy, I don’t know), but I think out of all the top D men being mentioned in this draft, Dobson has the least upside. In some ways, he reminds me of a slightly better right handed version of Brandon Carlo. A sure thing, yes, but don’t expect him to take the proverbial bull by the horns and drive offense.

Son of Petter likes this.
  4. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    If you’re looking for a guy who’s likeliest to be NHL ready at the #7 spot, you go with Brady Tkachuk.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  5. PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin Registered User

Yeah I think so too.

6. Mr Plow

Mr Plow Registered User

Wahlstrom or Dobson, with Bouchard slightly behind. I still can't make up my mind on Hughes. Sometimes I see him and I think he's the next Karlsson and other times I think he's just another Adam Fox, who's a good player in his own right but not 7th overall good.

biturbo19 likes this.
  7. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    Pronman is obsessed with Hughes. Normally, I’d laugh at such silliness, but Pronman has been scouting these kids quite thoroughly. I believe Pronman when he sees that Hughes is the real deal.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  8. Peter10

Peter10 Registered User

I went with Bouchard but its a real close call. Of all the given options, Tkachuk would be last on my list.

9. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Put Dobson down as my “preferred” pick though I can’t say I have a huge preference this year. Hughes, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, Bouchard, Tkachuk, and Boqvist all have their pros and cons and the ultimate success will likely come from how they develop over the next 2 years than what they’ve done already (possible exception being Tkachuk).

More interesting to me is which of these players the Canucks would take first. Out of that list I get the feeling that Boqvist and Bouchard tick the most boxes. Both have obvious physical tools and would fit the role of PPQB that Benning has been talking about since 2016 and I think had them so interested in Makar last year. Boqvist in particular I think fits their MO with his obviously strong tools, young age, and comes out of a Swedish league. If Gradin is a fan then he’ll have a strong voice this year following the success of Pettersson. If Boqvist scares them too much (concussions, playing Superelit) then I think Bouchard fits the bill best. Not the same high end skating but has the size that Boqvist lacks and has that high offensive IQ to run an NHL PP.

Provided at least one of them is there at 7 (which I think is extremely likely) then those are my bets for actually being Canucks in 3 weeks time.

10. Peter10

Peter10 Registered User

I think the bolded is important. Many seem to think that just because Boqvist is from Sweden Gradin will automatically like him. I think in this case it actually might be the opposite. Boqvist had his big showing at last years Hlinka tournament (iirc) but struggled here and there in SHL and SuperElit. Not saying he would be a bad pick, just not sure Gradin is necessarly a big fan.

biturbo19 likes this.
  11. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Definitely agree, which is why I put the caveat. I don’t assume he likes every Swedish prospect but in the event he does throw his weight behind Boqvist then I would assume it will have greater status this year.

Outside of that I do think Boqvist checks off most of the things Benning has shown a taste for in past drafts.

12. Peter10

Peter10 Registered User

Yep, didnt mean to say you assumed so but more that it was an important point to make. Boqvist would certainly fit, him being swedish is also a point the might play into the decision making considering Pettersson, Dahlen and Edler are there already. Dont forgot they mentioned last year the fact the Pettersson played with Dahlen was part of the reason they took Elias (although probably just a minor one)

13. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

No worries, I knew what you meant. Was just expanding further.

14. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    I’m back on the Dobson bandwagon.......and this will likely be my final answer.

While Dobson does have the least upside, having the closest thing to a sure thing is also nice. Dobson’s speed, size, and defensive play are also hard to ignore, and he also plays the right side......and unlike many of the other options (Hughes, Tkachuk, Bouchard), Dobson will likely be there for the picking at #7.

Both Bouchard and Dobson can blast it from the point.

Bouchard has more skill than Dobson and is better at more things than Dobson, but his slightly suspect defensive play and agility are deal breakers for me.

Noah Dobson. Final answer.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  15. forty47seven

forty47seven Registered User

Dobson or Kotkaniemi would be my targets. I'm happy if the Canucks draft Wahlstrom or Tkachuk. I think there's more risk with Bouchard and Boqvist but would still be happy with either given their upside. Hughes is the only player I want to avoid.

16. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

The Athletic has a good piece on Bouchard. This snippet comes from the Knights GM:

THE Green Man and Hindustan Smyl like this.
  17. LovemyNucks

LovemyNucks Registered User

Wahlstrom. I know we need defence but BPA for me. I think he'll be that first round gem this year that Pettersson was last year plus he buys us some top 6 center insurance. Between him and Pettersson one of them should become an NHL centerman.

If Wahlstrom isn't available I'd take Hughes if he was still available. The way he margined out Horvat in that worlds match so easily put any concerns about his size in the NHL to rest.

Canucks1096 likes this.
  18. rypper

rypper EhlersHorvatTkachuk

I keep hoping Montreal (or someone) does something wild and glad off the board and takes Kotkaniemi and that throws the whole board out of whack.

It could lead to someone sliding to us if all the sudden the teams ahead of us have someone they expected to be gone sitting there for them to take.

Hindustan Smyl likes this.
  19. Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas go Comets

Home Page:
    Bouchard or Kotkaniemi. I eliminate Tkachuk from consideration personally, just don't think he'll be there.

20. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    Thank for providing that piece.

I wouldnt be unhappy if we drafted Bouchard, but I just prefer Dobson now. Even if Bouchard’s skating is a little understated as that article suggests, his slightly weak defensive play is a bit of a deal breaker for me. His slight lack of defensive acumen, combined with his slight lack of agility (which actually is an issue, and that’s a completely separate thing from speed), make him susceptible to being “blown by” speedy forwards. Dobson is extremely good defensively.

I still go with Dobson even if his upside is a little lower (and upon further review, I’ll actually have to disagree with Pronman with regards to Dobson’s supposed lack of upside).

21. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    Hughes has unbelievable skill and talent. His size is a little bit of an issue for me, and he doesn’t have a very hard shot. Outside of that however, he’s an unbelivable talent. I would be very happy if we landed Hughes. I’m just not sure that he’s going to be available to us.

I think it will come down to Dobson, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, and Kotkaniemi for us......maybe Boqvist if Montreal goes off the grid and chooses Kotkaniemi.

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Boqvist = gonzo.

I think Tkachuk and Boqvist will be long gone as well. Boqvist for upside, and Tkachuk since he’s the closest to being NHL ready outside of the Big 3.

22. CanaFan

CanaFan Registered User

Ya, I prefer Dobson too but I wouldn’t be upset if Dobson were off the board and we took Bouchard. I think he offers a lot of upside and most of his flaws are fixable.

Mr Plow and Hindustan Smyl like this.
  23. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    Agreed.

24. Gaunce4gm

Gaunce4gm Trusted Hockey Man

1 Dahlin
    2 Svechnikov
    3 Wahlstrom
    4 Zadina
    5 Boqvist
    6 Bouchard
    7 Dobson
    8 Kotkaniemi
    9 Farabee
    10 Tkachuk
    11 Hughes
    12 Veleno
    13 Smith
    14 Wilde
    15 Kravstov
    16 Woo
    17 Sandin
    18 Samuelsson
    19 Hayton
    20 Kupari
    21 Merkley
    22 Denisenko
    23 Lundeström
    24 Addison
    25 Noel
    26 Miller
    27 Bokk
    28 Thomas
    29 Mcleod
    30 Alexeyev
    31 Dellandrea

25. Just Ginner

Just Ginner Registered User

Anyone on this site that has not subscribed to The Athletic either can't afford it, can't read, hates hockey, or blindly supports Jim Benning.

CanaFan likes this.