Who Are You Drafting

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Nick1219, May 26, 2018.

?

Who you picking?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2018.
  1. Hughes

35.6%
  2. Wahlstrom

10.6%
  3. Tkachuk

4.8%
  4. Dobson

26.0%
  5. Boqvist

6.7%
  6. Bouchard

9.6%
  7. Kotkaniemi

6.3%
  8. Other

0.5%
View Users: View Users
  1. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Lecturer
    Good list, but there’s no way Tkachuk is dropping to 10 in my opinion. He’ll be drafted before we pick. Tkachuk is probably the most “NHL ready” outside of The Big 3 and possibly Hughes. Aside from being a good player (not to be confused with “great” however), I’m pretty sure at least one of the GM’s in the lottery position will draft Tkachuk on name value alone.

BT will be drafted in the Top 6.

Canucks should pick one of Dobson, Bouchard, or Boqvist.

2. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    I also want to go on record stating that I’ve changed my mind on Boqvist. While I still think there’s a higher risk variance in selecting him, relative to Dobson and Bouchard, I don’t think he’ll conpletely bust either. I love Boqvists upside (as I’ve said all along).

Canucks should walk away with one of Dobson, Bouchard, or Boqvist (my preference is in that order).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    petrishriekandgo likes this.
  3. myrocketsgotcracked

myrocketsgotcracked Registered User

The more I think about it, the more I want us to pick Bouchard. He checks all the boxes while the other 3D doesn't. He is a RHD with a big shot (Hughes isn't), he is an offensive Dmen that can run the PP (Dobson is more a 2-way D, questions about his offense), and he puts up tangible numbers in junior (Boqvist didn't).
    His one major drawback is his speed, but according to some it is due to him playing 30+mins a game, got to conserve energy. He did rank pretty high in one of the skating test in the prospect game so he can move when needed. And even if he is a bad skater, its infinitely more correctable than the other D's shortcomings (Hughes' height, Dobson's offensive awareness, Boqvist's health issues).
    A non-consequential bonus is he played with Joulevi before so it might ease his transition to the pros. He also seem less likely to out-right bust as compared to Hughes and Boqvist to me.
    I'm leaning to Bouchard for now.

4. lawrence

lawrence Registered User

Bourchard is one of the guys I like. him and Foudy with round 2 will be awesome.

5. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    Is it just me or does anyone else on here kinda/sorta want Benning to draft Barret Hayton just to see the reactions of everyone on here? :D.

6. Index

Index Blackhawk Down

Most likely just you.

7. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

Habs insiders are swearing up and down that Bergevin will draft Tkachuk third overall...if so, it could throw the entire top-10 picks into turmoil. Can't see how the Sens would pass on Zadina at four...so would guarantee the Canucks in a position to draft one of Hughes, Bouchard or Dobson. Could easily see the 'Yotes taking Bouchard at #5 and the Wings would be all over Hughes at #6.

So that leaves Dobson for the Canucks; or if they want another scoring forward, Walstrom.

THE Green Man likes this.
  8. biturbo19

biturbo19 Registered User

I don't really get the impression Kotkaniemi going before 7 would actually be all that wild and off the board at this point. Too many teams seriously looking for Centers, and he's been pretty steadily rising.

My money would actually be on one of the small defencemen "falling" from where people seem to be expecting them to go. Teams have shown that they're not often as keen on the undersized defencemen...and they both have some notable questionmarks on top of it. Boqvist with the relative lack of production, and the concussion concerns. Hughes with not bothering to do the combine, and he's got that attitude that comes across as right on the border of cocky and arrogant that could rub some teams the wrong way.

9. F A N

F A N Registered User

Why would that throw the entire top 10 picks into turmoil when Tkachuk is expected to go in the top 10 with some having him go top 4 or 5? Do you mean the order in which players are picked? Cause I think after the expected top 3, there's not much consensus in terms of order.

Personally, I think that either way, at least one of those three would be available, likely Bouchard and or Dobson.

10. brokenhole

brokenhole Registered User

are you draft guys going to be upset if Benning trades the 7th?

11. ChefBoiRD

ChefBoiRD Registered User

Don’t know much about Hayton, Button loves him, is he a Horvat clone? If so, redundant.

12. ChefBoiRD

ChefBoiRD Registered User

With how difficult it is to acquire quality defencemen, the premiums put on them, you have to draft them, even though they are not the sexy draft a forward tends to be. Go D-man, no to Bouchard yes to Dobson, Boqvist or Hughes

13. terrible dee

terrible dee Registered User

Ugh...I see everyone is still drinking the Defensemen Kool-Aid, the playoffs proved last year and this one, when last years great centers beat the best defense in the League (and the Centers played in front of a no-name defense) and this year, when one of the final teams features Lucas Sbisa with an "A" on his jersey and another no-name crew...

It's A CENTERS LEAGUE your team will be successful or not based on the quality of your center ice position

Peterson is NOT A CENTER, I don't care if Benning wishes to the tooth fairy every night to make him into one, HE'S NOT A CENTER

Gaudette is NOT THE SOLUTION, Neither is Gagner

DRAFT THE BEST CENTER AVAILABLE, its the ONLY way up and out for this team

14. terrible dee

If Benning trades him?

Yeah, I don't want Roman Polack

15. terrible dee

As much as I want a center I'm not impressed by Hayton's hight reel, I don't think those plays translate to the NHL, that having been said my problem with highlight reels is they usually focus on goals, I could care less who taped in the play for the JR. goal, I want to see who makes plays out there, who turns nothing into something, whether it results in a goal or not, those are the guys I want

16. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    Stylistically, he’s been compared to Bergeron.

17. Hindustan Smyl

Lecturer
    This is an interesting post for sure.

I agree with you about Pettersson by the way.

Having said all that, I do think you’re underrating the impact of defensemen in this league.

Pittsburgh is a MASSIVE outlier since they had a generational center, and a high end franchise center. Every other cup winning/finalist team since 1994 has either had 1-2 franchise defensemen, or had 5 guys that were worthy number two’s (Carolina 2006 and Vancouver 2011 come to mind).

Canadian Canuck likes this.
  18. biturbo19

biturbo19 Registered User

I don't think another Horvat would be "redundant". I'd take a few of those on my team.

I don't really think that's Hayton though. I feel like at least part of the Hayton hype is built on what some of these other SSM guys have done when "promoted" up the lineup over time. Like Morgan Frost did this year. Or even like we saw ourselves with McCann back in the day. I'm not so convinced Hayton has that sort of offensive upside. I do like him, and i think he'll be at least a good Top-9 Center...but not at #7. That's some big, risky projection.

19. PavelBure10

PavelBure10 Registered User

Pick Tkachuk if he's available, but Whalstrom and Dobson are on the top of my list. Bouchard and Boqvist are good too. I really hope Benning doesn't trade this pick.

20. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Be gentle

Bouchard or Hughes if they're available.

21. Tobi Wan Kenobi

Tobi Wan Kenobi Registered User

I like Bouchard more the Dobson. Does he not play a game better suited for the NHL? For some reason when I watch Dobson I don't see him projecting to the NHL quite as well. So:

Hughes
    Boqvist
    Wahlstrom
    Bouchard
    Tkachuk

are the 5 I want

22. TeddyBare

TeddyBare Registered User

That logic still doesnt work.
    Pittsburgh has what, two of the top 3 centers in the league. Nothing in this draft comes close to them

Plus if you draft d-men then you wont be forced to ice scrubs like Luca Sbisa.

Washington has one of the premier defensive d-men in Niskanen, and Carlson who played out of his mind.

23. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Be gentle

:facepalm:

Dude.

There is not a comparable centre to Crosby or Malkin in this draft. You've been on this CENTRE!!!!1!!! fetish for a while now, and while I agree you've got to be good down the middle to get anywhere, BPA just isn't going to be a C this year, sadly.

Canadian Canuck likes this.
  24. geebaan

geebaan 7th round busted

I am at least happy there are a bunch of guys I'd be happy with, to fine with. Theres almost nobody I'd groan over us picking.

25. PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin Registered User

Im scared. I feel the same way as you, so the only way to be dissapointed now is if they trade the pick. :(